Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 11

25th of Last Seed, 4E 201

I wake to see Kaito's head above me, and myself above the ground. I flutter my eyes open, scanning the area before checking if this is really Kaito, and not just a Bandit Thug or a solider, or someone in particular I should be worried about. But it is just plain old Kaito. Dull, grey eyes, faded black hair, and skin at least darker than a vampire's. He fixes his eyes on the road, acknowledging my awakened presence as soon as he catches me staring at him for a while.

"You're awake," he says, double-checking my bitten leg. I also glimpse over to it, seeing it is tied up with a piece of his armour. Half his sleeve is badly torn, and the other half looks like it was cut by a dagger. Dry blood lies upon my thigh, dirt and the dragon's saliva hanging on my knee.

I squirm in his arms, and I wince once an explosion of pain shakes in my leg, a stinging vibrating against the inside of my skin as I barely touched my foot against the pavement in the slightest. The pain shot up from my foot, to my thigh. "How long have you been carrying me?" I ask after I stop struggling.

"Six hours."

"Did you take a wagon?"

"No."

I remain silent, and I have the right to be. He travelled a long way, on foot. The only thing that is keeping me occupied is staring at a dangling string that is stuck on my shoe. I have no sarcastic retort, no rude comment, or any word to speak with. My façade is speaking with a sharp tongue, and staying in my sort of stoic, creepy little self, my hobby of pissing people off with sarcasm. But Kaito is calm, he doesn't flinch if something attacks him, or if anything is in his way. He walks around a problemーwithout a problem. It's odd, like everything goes his way.

"Erm... did you bandage up my leg?" I question. I can't stand the silence, someone has to at least talk, I would even be fine if there were the annoying taps of wildlife, howls of wolves, roars of trolls, thumping of rabbits, chirps of vicious birds, and stomping of giants. Just... not a dragon. If we have to encounter another of those bloody beasts, I swear...

"Yes," he replies tediously. He talks with no emotion. Absolutely. No. Damn. Emotion. "You fainted after the dragon was slain."

"Mhm..." I mumble, scouting our surroundings. Everyone must be worried, we've been gone for quite a while.

"Killed a troll to camp out in its cave," he then tells me, keeping his eyes on the road. I nod, leaning against his chest. He's wearing steel armour. His heartbeat is slow, and beats in a soothing rhythm. Is he always this calm?

It takes a few moments for myself to speak again. This edgy silence is getting on my nerves.

"Where are we now?"

"Whiterun Hold."

It seems like he is struggling a bit, after I press my ear against his chest, his heartbeat is still slow, but accelerates only slightly. Am I too heavy for him?! I feel my cheeks redden of embarrassment.

"P-Put me down..."

"Why?"

"I'm, uh, I'm heavy, and... I wouldn't want to carry you instead after you collapse of fatigue!"

Embarrassing silence.

He shakes his head. "Your leg hasn't healed yet," Kaito faces his attention to me.

"Put me down this instance. At least hire a carriage driver, perhaps rent a room in the inn, or to save money, camp out somewhere," I say, crossing my arms. "Astrid will be disappointed if I work you until your breaking point."