Separation

Chapter 31

8th of Rain's Hand, 4E 202

Stretching out across the bed, I yawn, quite loudly I might say, but bite my own hand once I realise I'm at the inn. I look over to the other side of the room, completely forgetting that Kaito is sleeping on another bed across from mine. The only thing separating us is a small drawer with an unlit candle, a book, and a half-eaten apple, since Kaito usually sneaks out of bed and takes some apples from the barrel. He has a bad habit of doing that, as I've noticed from the months I've been with him. Now that it's gotten colder, the apples aren't in season, and they're growing less and less every day (to Kaito's dismay).

Last night was uncomfortable and it took me a while for me to sleep, since I've been slightly paranoid. During the hours of the night I've been keeping my eyes on Kaito, watching his every move, just in case he wants to stab the hell out of me for "murdering" his sister.

But yes, with humiliation, I do regret murdering Alva... kinda. I apologised my bloody tongue off yesterday, because I apparently experience this feeling called 'guilt.' And Kaito made me do it. He said I shouldn't kill people out of jealousy. Bah.

Fortunately, she didn't seduce him to become a thrall. The lie she told Kaito was so detailed, that he believed it for a moment that he decided to abandon me. He believed I killed his sister, when it really was Alva (It wasn't Laelette, since Laelette wasn't a vampire when Kaito was fourteen, so Kaito really killed her from a misunderstanding. But, she stabbed me, so he did have an excuse to kill her.) Alva was the mastermind behind this all. She even managed to persuade Kaito.

So, all my apologies to her were for nothing. He was a bit pissed off that I killed her, and not him. But he finally found out his sister's condition was Sanguinare Vampiris, and all the health potions have been keeping her human and alive.

This case has been solved. Alva was the culprit.

Morthal is getting rather tedious, the fog's still the same, the snow is still piled, and the air is still cold. Dull, dull, dull.

In the middle of the night, I heard screaming coming from Alva's house. Probably saw her mutilated body, they couldn't even tell who it was. I took a hot bath to wash off all the blood, and let me tell you: blood is difficult to clean out of your fingernails. Apparently they've released a murder case, and they're looking out for the killer. I would've laughed sooo loudly if I was by myself, and not in an inn where everyone can hear me giggle to myself like madwoman.

Throwing the itchy furs off my body, I groan once I stretch to stand on the ground. The wood is freezing against my bare feet.

Kaito is a heavy sleeper. It's cute, in a way. From the way he's positioned, he sleeps just like a baby. He looks so naïve. I quietly laugh a bit.

I walk over to his bed and sit. His bangs are resting on his cheek, which rubs against the back of his hand from the way he's sleeping on his side. The only thing keeping me from drawing on his face with a quill or charcoal is his ability as Dragonborn. Really, if I wake him up by surprise, Sithis knows what he'll do; throw me against the wall with one of his Shouts, take out a dagger hidden in his sleeve, or might as well put me in a painful fighting position I can't escape from.

Maybe it's for the best that I'm not Dragonborn. I'd be taking advantage of my power as if I'm the High Queen of Skyrim, no, Tamriel. Dragon Empress of Tamriel. Yes, perfect.

Fighting in the deepest crypt, encountering dragons... on second thought... maybe not.

I twirl a lock of his hair, and softly lean against him, almost in a hug. He looks so peaceful. The way he breathes, his eyelashes twitching a few times. He looks skinny from here, as if he was a child. I lean forward, my lips close to his ear.