Kaito and the Dragon Tongue

Chapter 25

Note: Rewrote chapter 5/2/15

3rd of First Seed, 4E 202

I gaze at Mikasa's replica dress, reckoning on what to do with it. It's been a while since I wore it, and when I made the failure of a pie. Still, it looks like it's been eaten. I sigh.

A knock on the door is what strains me from my thoughts and I hesitantly throw myself off the bed, then turn the knob.

"Hello," I say, and shut the door. I can feel Kaito's presence still lingering outside, and I roll my eyes before opening the door once again. He's so stubborn.

"Hello to you too," he replies with the small smile of his. I look behind me, noticing he's been staring at the dress for a couple seconds until he looks at me again. "Where did you get the dress?"

Oh. No.

I completely forgot that he'll notice I somehow talked to Mikasa, or he'll get suspicious.

"Gabriella and I made it," I tell him, and he swings his eyes to the dress, and to me.

"It looks just like my sister's."

"There was a painting in your room."

"You also made Apple Pie, the food she would make for me."

"I know you buy a lot of apples."

"You saw her, didn't you?"

His face looks desperate, but he tries to hide it. Kaito's eyes stare into mine, and I tense. This is one of the situations where you can't lie. He wants the truth, and he truly loves his sister, that he'll do anything to see her again.

I swallow. What do I say to him? Do I lie, even if he already knows?

"How did you know?" I whisper, and he blinks.

"So you did? When did you see her?" he presses me into answering, and I look back to Mikasa's visit.

"She..." I mumble, a faint blush heating my cheeks. I forgot I actually spent some time in his room. What am I going to tell him? "Um...she came when I was in your room when you were sleeping."

He blinks. "What?"

My blush darkens, and I toy with my fingernails. "In Solitude. She told me stories about when you two were young."

I notice Kaito lightly blush now, or it's just the candles reflecting off his face. "What did she tell you?" he asks monotonously.

"She just told me stories. Like how you didn't eat anything that didn't contain apples, or when you almost blew up their house, and your weird fetishes."

Mikasa really didn't have to tell me that.

He averts his eyes away from me, and croaks a quiet, "oh."

"I have a contract I need to complete," I say, before walking out my room. I trust he won't do anything ridiculous, like draw on every book I have in my library.

Taking off with Shadowmere, he nickers once I tell him this'll be a short trip. I didn't really feel like travelling a long distance anyway, and besides, I need to gather some ingredients for Babette.

I need to complete the contract somewhere in a bandit's camp, but I've been told they're all bark and no bite. It isn't in a foul smelling cave or anything like that (thank the Night Mother), and is instead outdoors.

A dragon roars in the distance, and I spot red scales before it flies in a circulate motion, soon disappearing.

I still don't understand why Kaito was chosen as Dragonborn. He's a lazy bum who doesn't like getting up early in the morning; the last to wake up in the sanctuary I might add, and he hogs all the apples. He even blew off a meeting for the Greybeards to initiate a temporary truce between the Empire and Stormcloaks, and instead threatened them to make up. The gods surely made an interesting choice - all he does is eat and mercilessly tease me instead of training or having an epic battle with a dragon. I wonder if he actually loves m-