Bound Until Death

Chapter 18

19th of Evening Star, 4E 201

"Sleep well?" I say, a weary Kaito groggily sitting on a chair across from me. Light bags are under his eyes, and his hair is messed up, pointing in different directions. Hair matching his sister's is long to the back of his neck, but his hair in general seems like something just exploded. "You had nightmares, didn't you?"

He looks at me for a second, and nods. "Yeah," he replies dully, and I toss him an apple. Since Mikasa's visit, I've been trying to figure out what she said. Was what she told me a compliment? Everyone in the sanctuary often tell me I look like a doll, but I'm not sure what she meant. Except one boy. When I was little, a boy told me I was as ugly as a Falmer. I mean, I heard a rumour of people being made into a doll, but it started a while ago. Plus, who is the 'all' she was speaking of? He better not have any other girl. Not that I care, I just hope he isn't flattering girls. Normally when I heard the story, it was a fable to teach children to not venture out into the woods, and get lost, or else you'll be turned into a doll. I decide not to think about the creepy phrase, but if I ask Kaito about it, I might make him worry about his dead sister.

I twist the bundle of the two Nightshades from yesterday, and they're already beginning to dry. "What was that about, the flower girl? Why did you give her so much money?" I question, remembering the whole coin purse thing. Either he was being generous, or just carelessly gave away his money.

He bites into the apple, and doesn't look at me when he's talking. "She reminded me of Mikasa."

I think this is the first I've learned about him. He knows that I can be full of emotion, to irritated, sad, then happy again. He's just downright isolated.

A knock on the door distracts me from picking up a sweetroll. Jordis is cleaning rooms like a maid, so I end up answering the door. Kaito just doesn't care. I don't think this is the time to be criticising Kaito's patronising behaviour. Leaving him alone would be the best idea for now.

Still, I grab a sweetroll before answering the door, and I just plan on scaring them off so I won't have to deal with them.

Sighing, I open the door. When someone discovers the sanctuary, I usually open the Black Door and just stab a sword right through their heads without warning. Sometimes, they make real stupid faces once I stab them since they're so surprised, and we have a laughing fest mocking their expressions. Unfortunately, the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary was being discovered way too much, and the people of Falkreath tended to become suspicious, and scouted the wood. So, we eventually stopped stabbing people that happened to find the sanctuary.

I drop my treat once I see a familiar face.

I didn't see him during the execution.

He didn't answer me when I called out to him.

"Amar?" I whisper, honestly too speechless to say anything. Kaito creeps behind me to find out what's going on, but I pay no mind to him.

He doesn't recognise me at first, which is pretty depressing. After a few seconds, he tilts his head, and smiles. Amar is still the decent idiot I always knew.

"I thought you were dead," I say in disbelief, and he shakes his head.

"Thank you for that sad accusation," he mumbles, scratching his head.

"But how?" I ask, not even bothering to pick up the sweetroll I dropped. "I didn't see you at the execution, and blood was spilled onto my face, and you didn't answer when I called you and Jangar's name..."

Amar reveals half of his chest, down to his stomach, a large scar that is not even close to healing. I can hear Kaito growl, and literally growl, but I shrug him off. "Sorry I worried you all this time. Imperials knocked me out. Jangar didn't make it during the dragon attack, and I was looking for you in Helgen. Even after that damned dragon set everything on fire, I tried to look for your corpse or irritated screeching."