Chapter 30: A Normal Day

Tuesday, Jun 7th

Mikah slowly separated his eyelids as a sound from the environment muffled itself into his dazed lucidness. As he drifted his eyes around in a daze, the male discovered he had unintentionally slumbered on the couch after a night of restlessness and forcefully distracting himself with anything that could lock his mind away from the previous day's events.

Upon standing up to straighten his arched back which had been part of the consequence of losing consciousness in a sitting position, he speculated through the room. Once he heard the slight tapping of steps beyond the door, he began chafing his tired eyes while approaching the disturbance. Concluding the time to be in the very pique hours of the morning he began suspecting a robbery of some sort.

However, he stepped into the main corridor to face the dark silhouette of his sibling stumbling around to put her shoes on. The boy furrowed his brow in confusion at the arbitrary actions, giving his eyes a final rub to completely awaken himself before approaching the unsuspecting girl. "What are you doing?" Once his question passed onto her, she paused her actions to glance at him with an unreadable expression, failing to betray her intents behind her fatigued eyes.

She stared at him for a few silent moments, seeming to try and register his mere presence, only to turn her attention back around to finish off putting her shoes. "I'm going to work." Her tone portrayed sternness and an apathy to any opposing opinions for her actions. Mikah took a moment to process her reasoning before approaching the preparing girl.

"What?" As he stopped himself right behind her he waited for the female's compliance to turn around and elaborate on her decision. To his disappointment, his siblings made no intention on turning towards him and establish her intents. "Hey, what do you mean by that?" He took the girl's arm in a secure and coaxing hold before (Y/n) glanced back at him with a bemused gaze, almost under a daze herself as she took time to read the situation.

She eventually shook off his loosened grip before stopping herself from any action to simply remain stilted on the spot. The female continued staring at the ground for a small bundle of seconds before eventually lifting her sights back up to weakly respond. "Work...I need to work." She lulled out before darting her gaze around until she felt satisfied with the useless response and intending on making her way out of the house.

Mikah quickly latched on to her shoulder before sternly turning her distracted focus on him. "What? Where? What are you talking about?" His senses heightened back into awakening, as though his blood was fuelled with adrenaline, confusion, and frustration.

(Y/n) didn't dare reflect back his eye contact before she nudged away his hand. "I need to work. I'm going back...I'm going back to the place where mom spent her time in." The boy halted his reprobating intents as he stared at the girl's contemplative features. "I need to make this better again. I need to work until she comes out of the hospital." Her stagnant pace of annunciation unintentionally revealed her depleted energy.

"Did you actually sleep?" Her brother calm inquired, silently assessing the stupor in the female's distant gaze. She remained muted as a part of her reply to the speculation.

"I don't have time to sleep." Was her only response, double checking the contents of her bag instead of focusing her sights on her inquiring sibling.

As (Y/n) prepared to hurry her rushed decision by exiting the premises, her brother momentarily hampered her attempts of departure by sternly grasping her shoulder. This forced the girl's tired eyes to glance back at him with a sharp and irascible gaze, warning him to restrain himself before her wavering emotions tip against him. "Why are you doing this?" His question was placid and gently spoken, holding a purpose of making the girl think over her actions.