Chapter 3

The next day, everyone received horrifying news.

Brooke Bluebell, the girl from the pizza parlor, was found dead. She had been eaten and killed by some wild animal. The whole town was in shock, closing stores and offices for the day. However, they didn't cancel school, which I found strange. Everyone was crying and comforting one another. Even though I didn't know Brooke that well, it still sucked. She was very nice and the fact that she was brutally killed made me feel sick.

Peter and I were standing in the hallway during passing period. The young freshman who Peter knew was standing with her friends a few feet away from us.

"I bet he knows something about it, gypsy creep," the blonde girl mumbles. They walk away and I glance at Peter who leans against the wall, sighing. He looked upset.

"Hey, don't listen to them," I say, placing my hand on his shoulder "They are just dumb little freshman. They don't even know what they are talking about."

"Yeah, I guess."

"C'mon, let's go to class," I grab his arm and drag him down the hallway.

-

Later that night, I was laying in bed working on some homework. It was pretty late, so I was about to go to sleep when I get a phone call from Peter.

"Hey," I answer. "What's going on? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just had a weird dream," he tells me quietly. "Wanna go on a walk?"

I stand up, glancing out my window. It was completely dark out. "Right now? It's kinda late." I didn't know if going for a walk at this time of night was a good idea, especially since there was a wild animal somewhere.

"I know," he sighs. He sounded upset. "You don't have too. I was just-"

"Where do you wanna meet?" I knew my dad would kill me if he found out I left the house, but something was going on with Peter and I wanted to be there for him.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

We plan a place to meet. I get out of my pajamas and change into a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. I throw my hair into a messy bun and put on my converse. I quietly sneak down the stairs and out of the house.

When I get to our meeting place, I am immediately freaked out. Peter is crouching next to the small shed, his hands placed on the sand. The woods next to us were dark and it was foggy. I didn't want to be here.

"Peter, isn't this the place where Brooke got killed?"

"I had a dream."

"Yeah, so did Martin Luther King, but I'm sure his dream wasn't at the sight of a gruesome mauling," I tell him, looking around uneasily. The sand runs through his fingers slowly before he gets up.

"What is going on?" I question. He was acting extremely strange and I didn't like it.

We stand in silence. The only thing I could hear was crickets chirping and the soft sounds of our breathing. We look up and stare at the stars.

"What did it feel like?"

Peter and I snap our heads and turn around. My heart beats extremely fast when we see Roman standing a few feet away from us. Roman and Peter glare at each other.

"What did what feel like?"

"Killing that girl."

"What the fuck?" I say as I look at Peter. Is this why Roman told me to stay away from him? Because Peter killed Brooke? My head starts spinning and I feel extremely confused.