Chapter 21

The plane slowly descended into Pittsburgh. I looked out the small window, staring at the bright lights below.

After a safe landing, I gathered my belongings and followed the long line of people out of the aircraft. I receive the rest of my things from the baggage claim before going out of the airport.

The air felt cold so I zipped up my jacket. It was the end of August and I had spent the last ten months in warm and sunny California. It was going to take my body a long time to adjust to the colder weather.

I find my bus. The electronic sign displayed, "Hemlock Grove," brightly on the outside and I suddenly felt anxious as I looked for a seat and sat down.

After Roman and I broke up, I left Hemlock Grove to stay with my aunt in California. Luckily, I finished high school there. I spent weeks trying to make up credits that I had lost due to never going to school. Surprisingly, I had gotten accepted into a few colleges. However I needed a break after working my ass off to even graduate. I was hoping to attend school in the upcoming spring.

Now, I was returning to Hemlock Grove because my father was getting married. He wanted me to meet his new fiancé, who he had met at some local bar. At first, I declined his offer of returning home, my heart still aching when I thought about everything that happened there. However, I needed to push past it and move on with my life. Roman was most likely gone anyways or at least I hoped he was.

I haven't heard from Peter since he packed his bags and left without telling anyone. A part of me was extremely pissed off that he would do that, but have tried to understand where he is coming from. However, it still hurt when he never reached out to me. We were best friends and I just wished everything could be different.

I lay my head against the cold window, closing my eyes. Thankfully, I sleep for the rest of the journey home.

The old lady sitting beside me shakes me awake. I thank her and rub my eyes, still sleepy. I have had a long day of traveling and I just wanted to plop down on my bed and relax. I gathered my things and look for my dad and his future wife, Meredith.

I spot them in the bus station lobby. Meredith was very pretty. She had blonde hair and a slim figure. They waved and I smiled, my suitcase dragging behind me. My dad immediately opens his arms, embracing me tightly. It took me a while to get over him forcing me to leave, but it wasn't his fault.

"Hey!" He greets happily as he pulls away. "This is Meredith," he points to his fiancé. "Meredith, this is my daughter, Elsie."

We exchange greetings, her smile big and pearlescent white. My father grabs my bags and I follow them to the car. I buckle up in the back seat and look out the window, the tall white tower shining brightly in the distance.

"So Elsie," Meredith begins. "Are you interesting in working while you are here?"

"Yeah, I am," I reply. "I need to start saving up money for school, plus it will give me something to do while I'm here."

"Well, a good friend of mine owns the coffee house downtown," she explains. "They are hiring and I mentioned you."

"Really? Thank you so much," I say. That was really nice of Meredith to think about me. So far, I liked her.

She smiles. "You're welcome. Just go down there tomorrow and talk to her."

My dad glances in the rear view mirror, giving me a small smile. I return it and continue to look out the window. I noticed we had missed the turn to our house.

"Dad," I say, "You missed the turn."

"Oh, he didn't tell you?" Meredith questions, glancing between me and my father.

"Tell me what?"

"We moved," he tells me. "Meredith and I bought a new house together. It's nice, much larger than our old one. You have your own bedroom and bathroom."

I raise my eyebrows. "I had that at our old house."

"It's in a much nicer neighborhood as well," he adds, trying to make me feel better. What else has changed since I've been gone?

He was right. The house was extremely nice and much larger than our old one. There was a long, bendy driveway and a nice front yard. The inside was very elegant and decorated nicely, but it didn't feel as cozy as our old home.

Meredith shows me my new bedroom. It had a balcony and it was painted a light grey. My things were in boxes, waiting to be unpacked. I sigh, sitting on my new bed. It seemed just like yesterday when I was sitting in my new house, dreading being in Hemlock Grove and that feeling never seemed to fade away.

-

The weeks go by quickly. I have been working at the coffeehouse and I really enjoyed it. My coworker, Holly, is really sweet. She has a bubbly and loud personality, which I liked. She reminded me a lot of Lucy.

The morning rush had just finished. Holly was cleaning mugs while I was wiping off the counter top. The door chimes, signaling a costumer has arrived. It was a boy with dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes.

"Hi," I greet with a smile. "What can I get for you?"

He scratches his head. "Uh, I'm not sure. What would you recommend?"

"I like the white chocolate mocha," I tell him. "It's pretty good, especially if you like chocolate."

The boy gives me a warm smile. "I'll get that then."

"Alright," I grin, placing his order into the register. I tell him the total and he hands me some money. "That will be ready in just a minute."

"Thank you...?"

"Elsie," I tell him.

"I'm Trey."

"It's nice to meet you," I say. We continue to talk for a minute before he goes to a small table and sits down. I begin making his coffee as Holly comes up to me.

"That dude totally thinks you are cute," she smirks, nodding toward Trey. "You should write your number on his cup. I've seen that shit on Tumblr. It's really cute."

I laugh. "He literally asked for a recommendation and I gave him one," I shake my head, steaming the milk. It whistles loudly throughout the coffee shop.

"C'mon, Elsie! He is so cute."

I look over at him. He was very cute and polite. I think about it for a second. It wouldn't hurt to write my number on his cup. The worst that could happen is that he isn't interested and doesn't call me. I definitely wasn't ready for another relationship after Roman, but maybe if I went on a few dates I would feel better.

"Go get me a sharpie, please."

Holly claps her hands together and squeals She returns from the back with a sharpie. I finish making the coffee and write my number on the side. I felt nervous as I walked to his table. With a smile, I place the cup in front of him.

"Thank you Elsie," he grins. I nod before walking away swiftly before he notices my number on the cup.

Holly is smirking when I return. I shake my head, wondering why she was so humored by this. I continue to work, glancing over at Trey occasionally. He is sipping on his coffee while he reads a book. When he is about to leave, he doesn't throw the plastic container away.

"I'll call you!" He shouts, nodding to me. "The coffee was great, by the way!"

Smiling, I wave goodbye, trying to hide my blushing face. I was pretty excited, feeling better that I didn't get turned down. The hours pass and my shift ends. I go home and eat dinner with my father and Meredith. I get ready for bed, checking my phone constantly and making sure the volume was on high so I wouldn't miss a call from Trey.

I am scrolling through my social media when my phone rings. I shut my laptop and look at the unknown number calling me. I smile, answering it.

"Hello?"

"Elsie?"

My whole body freezes and my heart feels like it is in my stomach as soon as I hear the familiar voice.

"Roman."