Chapter 46

As I am driving home, I can't stop thinking about Peter. Was he really going to have Andres killed? That was his future brother-in-law. Destiny was so excited about the wedding and to start her life with him. Peter couldn't take that away from his cousin.

My phone rings from the cup holder and I answer it, not bothering to check who was calling.

"Elsie," Roman breathes. "I've been trying to call you for the past half an hour."

"I've been busy."

"Don't give me that bullshit," he grumbles and I roll my eyes. "I need you to come where I am."

"Oh, so now you want me to join?" I fire. I was still extremely angry with him. 

"I'm sorry, okay?" Roman mutters. "Now, please cut the fucking attitude and come to this house."

"Fine," I grumble. We hang up once he gives me the address. I type it into the car GPS and follow the instructions. The sun was setting and it had finally stopped snowing. I am taken down a long and bendy road until I reach a driveway.

The house is very modern and clean. I knock on the door, hoping it is Roman who answers. However, I am greeted by a man who was probably in his thirties. I could hear some classical music playing and the aroma of food wafted outside.

"We don't want any girl scout cookies," he grumbles as he tries to close the door, but I grab the handle. I was actually going to kill Roman. I can't believe he wouldn't tell them I was coming.

"I'm not a girl scout," I say through gritted teeth. "I'm looking for Roman."

He turns and calls into the house. "Roman! Your little sister is here!"

"Seriously?" I exclaim in disbelief. "You know what? Forget about it."

After giving the man the middle finger, I turn and walk back down the icy steps. I am almost to my car when I hear someone trailing behind me.

"Where are you going?" I hear Roman call.

"Home," I simply reply. "You can stay here and have fun with your new friends. The one is a real charmer, you know?"

"Elsie, they aren't my friends," Roman explains. "They are upirs."

I stop getting into my car and look at him. His face was blank and I knew he was being serious. "Wait, how many are there?"

"A lot," he tells me. "And they can help us learn more about who we are."

I arch my eyebrow. "You said that they knew something about Spivak."

"Spivak is like a serpent," Roman begins to explain. "They call it a Jormungandr. Apparently, he is the last of its kind."

"So, what he is trying to do? Reproduce?" I question. Even though I was still mad at Roman, I was glad he was able to find more about Spivak. 

"Fuck, I'm not sure," he huffs. "Come on, let's get you inside. There is something you need to try."

We go into the house. It was very cozy and nicely decorated. Roman drags me into the living room where some people were sitting, drinking glasses of wine and enjoying each others company. When Annie sees me, her smile falls. I stand awkwardly as they stare. 

"Everyone, this is Elsie."

"Hello," a young girl with brown hair greets. "I'm Megan."

"Hi," I smile back.

"I'm Julie," an older lady introduces. She has a warm grin and a sweet face. "This is my husband, Mickey."

"Another baby upir?" The man from earlier snickers. I shoot him a glare and Roman grips onto the small of my back.