Chapter 23

I was waiting for Trey to pick me up. We were going to hang out, maybe go see a movie or something. He was late, which was weird. I decide to call him just to make sure he was okay.

After a few rings, he answers. "Hi," he mutters.

"Hi," I said slowly. "You okay? Are we still going to hang out?"

There is a pause for a moment. "Yeah, uh, I don't think this is going to work out, Elsie."

"What? Why?" I felt confused. We had been on a few dates and I thought they went pretty well. This was so sudden and I felt upset. Did I do something wrong?

"You know Roman Godfrey?"

I suddenly feel a lump in my throat. "What does he have to do with this?"

"Well, my dad worked for him at the white tower," he sniffles. "Roman fired him because we were dating. He didn't even try to sugar coat it or anything."

I don't know what to say. I felt so angry that I wanted to scream and hit something. "Trey, I'll go talk to him. I'll fix this."

"You can't!" Trey snapped. "I should have never went on a date with you."

I felt extremely hurt and angry. Roman knew what he was doing. He knew that I liked Trey and he couldn't stand the thought of me with someone else.

"Trey, please."

"No, Elsie," he huffs. "I gotta go."

"No-"

Before I could say anything else, he hangs up. I sit down on the couch, putting my head in my hands. I knew Roman was capable of being an asshole, but not to this extent. Angrily, I grab the car keys and head to the white tower.

The lobby is very clean with glossy white walls. It was big and had high ceilings. I immediately go up to the reception desk. It was a scrawny guy who seemed too young to be working here.

"Will you tell me where I can find Roman Godfrey?" I ask, not even bothering to introduce myself or say hello.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but I need to see him," I said, feeling impatient. "Can you just tell me where his office is?"

He shakes his head. "I'm afraid I can't do that, ma'am."

"Fine," I shrug my shoulders. "I'll just find it myself."

I walk past the reception desk and toward the elevator. The man immediately starts freaking out, shouting that I can't just walk around, but I don't listen to him.

I get into the elevator. There were so many floors that I didn't even know where to start. I decide to go to the highest level, since I knew Roman probably wanted the office with the view. The elevator hums as it slowly moves upward. There is a dinging noise and the doors open. I step out, looking around. I walk down the hallway and check every room.

"Hello," I hear a voice say behind me. I turn around and notice a small man. "Looking for something?"

"Uh, yeah," I mutter. "I'm looking for Roman Godfrey."

"Ah, yes," he goes past me. "Right this way."

Hesitantly, I follow him down the hallway. We go around a couple of corners and through some double doors. "Here it is," he says, holding his hand out.

"Thank you...?"

"Dr. Pryce," he tells me. "If Mr. Godrey happens to ask who showed you his office, it wasn't me."

I chuckle softly. "Okay, thank you."

He nods promptly before quickly disappearing. With my hand on the door, I take a deep breath and open it. Roman is sitting at his desk, looking up as soon as he hears someone come in.

"How did you get here?"

"Doesn't matter," I say. "What matters is that you had the nerve to fire Trey Anderson's dad because we were dating. How petty can you get, Roman?"

"He was a shitty worker," he shrugs, standing up from his chair.

"You and I both know that isn't true," I bellow. "His daughter is sick, Roman. Now they have no money to pay their bills."

"Not my fucking problem."

"Why are you like this?" I groan, pacing back and forth. "Why did you do this? Why did you fire his dad, Roman?"

He rolls his eyes. "I already told you. He was a shitty worker. I was going to fire him eventually, but when I found out that it was his son who was dating you, that was just the icing on top of the fucking cake."

"I can't believe you."

He leans against his desk. "So, did Trey break up with you? Is that why you are here?"

I felt so frustrated and defeated. I could feel my emotions building up and I wanted to hit myself when the tears began brimming in my eyes. I sit in a chair, putting my head in my hands. Every breath I took was shaky and uneven.

"Fuck, Elsie," I hear Roman walking toward me. "Don't cry. Fuck, I hate seeing you cry."

"If you hate seeing me cry so much, then why are you always the one making me?"

I feel his hand on my back and I flinch. "I'm sorry," he whispers. "Do you know how bad it hurt seeing you with some other guy? I was so angry and frustrated that I wanted to kill someone."

I rub my hands in my face. "Why did you tell my dad to send me away?"

"I don't know," he admits. "When Letha died and Peter left, I was so mad at the world that I took it out on you. Then, something happened with mom and I was even more fucked up," he tells me and I wonder what happened. "I've done some fucked up things, but the thing I regret the most is letting you go."

I don't know what to say. Roman was always good at being so sweet and caring when he wanted to be. However, I knew it wouldn't last long. I finally ask, "What happened with Olivia?"

He gets up from the chair and paces, biting his thumb. "Come by my house tomorrow," he said. "I need to show you something."

I shake my head. "Roman, I don't think that is a good idea."

He looks at me with pleading eyes. "Please," his voice cracks. "I wouldn't ask you if it wasn't important."

"Okay," I give in. "On one condition."

"What is it? I'll do anything."

"You have to hire Trey's father back," I explain. "And you have to pay their medical bills."

"What? Fuck, no."

I stand up and go toward the door. "Fine," I said simply. "I won't come to your house then."

"Shit," he huffs. "Fine. I'll hire him back and pay for the fucking medical bills."

I instantly felt relieved that I could help Trey and his family out. I just hoped he won't be as mad and forgive me. "Thank you."

He nods. "When should I pick you up tomorrow?"

"I work until three, so a little bit after."

"Okay," he said. "Same house?"

I shake my head. "No," I walk toward his desk and write my new address on a piece of paper before handing it to him.

He looks at it for a moment. "Why did you move there?'

I sigh. "Roman, I hope you know that just because I am coming by your house tomorrow doesn't mean we are friends or some shit."

His face is emotionless. "I'll see you tomorrow. You found your way here, so I suppose you can find your way out."

I don't say anything as I walk out the door and leave.