Chapter 42

The courtroom was dusty and old. The atmosphere was quiet and everyone, especially Roman, was tense as we listened to the judge.

"It's my understanding that due to the lack of credible evidence," the judges begins. "The people wish to drop all charges against Miss Godfrey."

The jury stands. "We do, your honor."

Roman's hand has a deadly grip on mine. I scoot closer to him and pat his thigh, giving him a small smile to ease his nerves.

"So ordered," the judge speaks. "And as to the challenge of guardianship filed by Roman Godfrey, the court has found it without merit."

Roman looks at his lawyer, his jaw clenched tightly. The lawyer shakes her head and looks through her paperwork.

"Young lady," the judge nods toward Shelly. "Would you approach the bench, please?" Shelly hesitantly stands up. "Miss Godfrey, I'm releasing you into your mother's care. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I should warn you that even a legal finding of fact won't make your troubles disappear," the judge says. "And due to the notoriety of this case, there may be individuals who harbor anger towards you. However misguided, it is real and potentially dangerous. I wish you the best of luck," she says, closing the file. "You're free to go."

"Thank you," Olivia says to the judge, a smile placed on her lips. She grabs her purse and Shelly. "Come on, sweetie."

The anger I felt toward that women could not be described. She think she ruined my life, but I wasn't going to give her that satisfaction. I'm sure Roman felt the same way about his mother, and it was only a matter of time before we plotted a plan to kill her. However, we had to focus on Nadia and Miranda for right now. Even if Roman doesn't want to seek revenge on Olivia, I will do it myself. 

The courtroom begins filling out. Roman abruptly stands up, walking toward Olivia angrily. "We need to talk. Now."

Olivia follows him out the room. I give Shelly a large hug and sympathetic smile. "We will figure something else out, Shell. So, you don't have to live with that roach."

"I heard what happened," Shelly replies. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I smile. Shelly was so sweet. "I'm alright."

I grab her hand and we go out into the hallway. Roman looked like he was about to punch his mother as they talked. Since my hearing was really good now, I was able to  listen to their conversation.

"Oh, Roman," Olivia sighs. "This negativity, it's not good for your health."

"How long do you think she's going to stay with you after she finds out you murdered Norman, huh?" Roman spits at her.

Olivia looks taken back. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Fuck you," Roman bellows, his voice echoing through the hallway. Dr. Pryce appears out of the courtroom, placing his hands on his chest.

"Roman, calm down," he said quietly. "Your sister's mental state is extremely fragile. Any trauma could induce a severe conversion reaction."

"What does that even mean?"

"If she goes over the edge again, we may never get her back."

Roman nods, patting Dr. Pryce on the shoulder before coming toward Shelly and I. We sit up from the bench and Roman embraces her in his arms.

"I missed you so much," he mutters. "You know I love you, right?" Shelly nods. "She's not your jailer and this isn't forever. Elsie and I are only a phone call away. I'll make this right, I promise."