Chapter 13

The walk home was hard. A storm was coming, so the air smelt like rain and I could hear thunder in the distance. I stayed close to the road, walking in the trees and bushes. My feet hurt and I was exhausted. Peter followed closely behind, apologizing and begging me to talk to him.

I finally get home. It was dark outside and I wasn't sure how late it was. It began sprinkling and the lightning made the sky look like a firework show. My head had stopped bleeding, so it was tender and sore. Just as I expected, my dad was waiting for me on the couch. I knew he was furious.

"Dad," I start as I enter room. "I am so sorry, I was-

"Go upstairs," he cuts me off. "I am so mad. I can't even talk or look at you right now. Go."

I feel my throat start burning. Peter let me down, Roman was mad, and my dad couldn't even look at me. All the people I cared about had some kind of problem with me.

I don't say anything. I drag my tired body up the stairs. I don't even bother to change out of my wet clothes. I lay in bed and cry. I was so frustrated with everything and I was worried about Roman. I hope he got out of custody. I was worried about the vargulf. I didn't want anymore people to die. I was worried about my friendship with Peter. How could he have thrown me under the bus so easily?

I eventually fall asleep, wishing everything could go back to the way they were before I moved to Hemlock Grove.

-

Morning comes and I wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus. I groggily get out of bed and get ready for school. I throw on a beanie and sweater and call it good. Thankfully, my dad had already left for work so I didn't have to face him. I turn on the news and wait for my coffee to finish brewing.

"...police have reported that part of Lisa Willoughby's body has been found at the Godfrey steal mill. They are looking into this and we update you once we get further information," the news lady reports and my eyes widen. The cops definitely knew that we had something to do with it. I feel sick to my stomach and don't even drink my coffee.

I walk to school. I get to my locker and grab my books. I see Roman walking past, and I can't help but feel relieved that he was alright. He gives me a look and motions for me to follow him. Hesitatingly, I do. I needed to talk to him.

I follow him to an old storage room. He leans against the door frame and lights a cigarette. He offers me one and I shake my head.

"I have a new lead," he said, taking a drag. I look at him, confused. Yesterday, he acted like he hated me and now it's like nothing even happened. My heart hurt and I couldn't keep doing this any longer. "I think something is going on at the White Tower. I don't know if it's connected or not, but I can get us in."

I don't say anything. I was too tired and upset.

"What?"

"No."

"What do you mean, no?"

"It's over," I whisper in shaky breathes, my chest tightening.

He steps closer. "What are you talking about?"

"This is over. We're done."

"Why?

"This is too much, Roman," I sigh, twiddling with my fingers nervously. "I can't keep up with you and Peter. You guys are always fighting and somehow I end up in the middle. Plus, my dad can't even look at me because he is so mad."

"So? Just because Peter and I have some stupid fucking arguments and your dad is a little mad at you, you're going to end this?" He sneers in disbelief.

"Roman, you left us at the mill yesterday!"

"Okay, it was stupid. It was really stupid," Roman admits, his jaw tightening. "I'm an asshole. I'm sorry, okay? But, come on. Think about what you're doing. You can't walk away over a stupid thing like that. You can't walk away from this," he points between us and I look away, not replying. "Will you fucking say something?!"

"You should go," I whisper, feeling tears brim in my eyes. "You are a good person, Roman. You deserve to get away from all this death. Get away from this town and your name."

Roman shakes his head and smokes some of his cigarette before throwing it on the ground. "I bet you'd like that. I bet you'd find that very convenient, you stupid fucking little girl," Roman spits and my heart breaks a little more.

"Don't talk to me ever again," I spit as hot tears fall down my face. "You and Peter both."

"I wasn't planning on it, sweetheart."

I look at him one more time before going away. I decide to go home. Even if I did go to class, I wouldn't be able to focus on anything. I didn't care if I was falling behind, I just wanted to go to sleep, hoping to forget about all of this.