Chapter 18

Roman takes me to Letha's house. We don't really know each other that well, but Letha thought it would be a good idea for us to spend some time together. I was excited to hang out with a girl for once. Letha was really sweet and I liked her.

We are in her kitchen. She brewed me some coffee and was making herself some tea. We were laughing and giggling when she gasps.

"What?" I ask, turning around. My mouth falls open as I see Christina, the weird freshman, standing in the yard. She was wearing only her pajamas and a jacket, her hair white as snow. She looked like a ghost. "What the fuck?"

Letha turns off the whistling kettle before opening the backdoor. "Christina. Hey."

"I'm sorry," Christina whimpers. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"That's alright, sweetheart. Are you okay?"

"Is your dad home?" Christina questions, peaking into the house.

Letha shakes her head. "No. Uh, do you want me to call him?"

"No, no."

"Okay," Letha says slowly. "He's probably out wondering where you are."

"Well, please don't tell him I'm here, okay?"

"Yeah, did you want to come in?"

Christina doesn't say anything and walks inside the house. She glares at me, her face filled with disgust. Letha and I look at each other in confusion.

"I heard a noise," Christina mutters. "It sounded like someone screaming."

"Yeah," Letha shuts the door. "I was just making some tea. Would you like a cup?"

Christina twiddles her thumbs. "I have tea all the time, but yeah, okay."

Letha slowly grabs a mug and fills it up. Christina stares at her and whispers something under her breath.

"What was that?" I ask. She was so weird, but she had found a dead body and her two best friends were mauled to death. She had been through a lot, so I figured her strange behavior was expected.

"So, do you wanna tell me what's wrong? Why did you leave the hospital?" Letha asked, setting the mug down in front of her.

"It wasn't safe there."

"Okay," she mutters uneasily. "Why do you think it wasn't safe?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling, I guess. Like when you're in a dark room, but you can still feel a hand in front of your face."

"What are you afraid of?"

"That it's coming after me."

Letha leans against the counter. "Sweetheart, I'm sure that's not true."

"Well, I-I had that feeling and I just had to get away," Christina tells us. "I had to come here. To warn you. Because, I think it's after you too," she stares at Letha.

I stand up. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom," I announce. "I'll be right back."

I walk into the hallway and pull my phone out of my back pocket. I dial Roman's number and he immediately answers.

"Elsie," he greets. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I whisper so Christina doesn't hear me. "I need you to come to Letha's house."

"Why?"

"Just please come. You'll know when you get here."

"I'll be right there," he states and I sigh in relief. "I love you."