Chapter 49

After taking a shower and getting changed into some fresh clothes, the new butler, Henry, makes me some dinner, but I feel too sick to even eat it. I stir the soup around as I think about everything that was happening. Eventually, I push the soup aside and run my fingers through my hair in frustration.

The door opens, revealing Roman. He strides over and kisses my forehead before taking off his coat and throwing his keys on the counter. He opens the fridge, the light illuminating his face.

"What did you guys end up doing with the body?"

"Put it somewhere and then I called the police anonymously," he tells me and I nod. "He should have just let Dr. Pryce take care of it." He grabs some of the blood and sits down next to me. "So, what did you need to tell me?"

My stomach felt like it was doing somersaults - in a bad way. My hands were shaky and I don't know why I am so scared to tell him. However, I needed to push my nerves aside and just get it over with.

"I'm pregnant."

His fall is emotionless as his jaw tightens. He abruptly stands up, his chair screeching loudly. Roman tugs on his hair as he paces back and forth. My heart sinks because deep down, I thought that he would be happy.

"How did this happen?" He questions lowly before shooting me a glare.

"You know."

Roman shakes his head. "No, I mean, how the fuck did this happen?! You didn't think to tell me you weren't on the pill?!"

I stand up and point a finger angrily at his chest. "First of all, when the fuck have I ever been on the pill? And second, we both thought that I would never be able to get pregnant ever since I turned, so don't you dare try to blame this on me."

Roman continues to glare before grabbing his coat and keys again. "I can't even be a good father to Nadia, so what makes you think I can be a good father to that?" He points at my stomach.

"Roman, I get it, okay? This is scary, but please don't think like that," I croak, hot tears suddenly streaming down my face. "I know this unexpected, but we-"

"Stop acting like this is some fucking miracle!" Roman shouts, hitting the table with his fists. "The world is so fucked up and I don't need to have another child to worry about! Especially when I don't even know where the fucking first one is!"

"Roman, stop-" I plead as he tries to walk away. "Where are you going?"

"To talk to Dr. Pryce," he spits. "To see what he can do about that," he nods toward my belly as he opens the door.

"Fuck you," I whisper through tears. I grab the ultrasound photo from my pocket and throw it at him. The picture drops at his feet and he reaches down to pick it up. "I'm eight weeks along, by the way. Not that you could give a shit."

Before he could say anything, I leave the kitchen and go into our bedroom. I slam the door and collapse on the bed, crying uncontrollably. My chest hurt and it felt like I couldn't even breathe. I didn't know what to expect, however I didn't think he would be this angry.

I hear a soft knock on the door before it opens. "Elsie," Roman whispers. I feel the bed shift and his hand touches my shoulder as I continue to sob into the pillow.

"Go away," I groan, my words muffled.

"Fuck, I'm sorry," he said, his voice cracking. "This is just so unexpected," I wait for him to finish. "I'm scared. Especially after Letha and how she died giving birth to Nadia."

I look up at him. "You don't think I'm scared? I've been dealing with this all by myself. I had to go to my first appointment alone."

He is silent for a moment and his face sad and tired. "Shit, I'm sorry, you have no idea how so fucking sorry I am."