Chapter 34

The night sky was clouded by heavy clouds as snow storm threatened to fall. I was leaning against a tree, my whole body shivering from the plummeting temperatures. I had trudged back to the house and the family was gone. I found a first AID kit and some blankets and brought it into the woods.

The sound of shovels hitting the hard ground filled the air as Roman and Peter tried to dig a hole to bury the bodies in. However, there was barely an indent in the ground and we have been here for a few hours.

"We're killing now?" I mutter, staring at one of the men. Blood had been trickling out of the hole that Peter left in his throat, leaving a dark red stain against the white snow.

"We should have made them dig their own graves first," Peter grumbles, his breath visible in the cold air.

Roman sits down next to me. He was pale and looked extremely tired. "That's dark," he said before reaching over and pulling my beanie down farther so my ears weren't exposed. I give him a slight smile.

"Fucking sun will be up soon," Peter hisses as the shovel hits the frozen ground again. "We're getting nowhere," he glances at Roman. "Hey, how about a little help?"

"I'm getting these treatments," Roman explains and I raise my eyebrow. I'm surprised he hasn't told him about them. "Makes me feel like shit."

"You're all right?"

"No," he shakes his head and I frown, realizing how much pain they were actually causing him. "Something I gotta do," he finishes.

Peter tosses the shovel somewhere and sits down on a small pile of dirt. He reaches into his pocket and lights a cigarette. We were all tired, hungry and cold.

"I'm getting gene therapy from Pryce," Roman continues. "It's suppose to make my DNA normal."

Peter takes a drag and says, "When you say, normal, you mean...?"

"Normal," Roman replies. "Human."

"Why?"

"You gotta couple hours to kill?" Roman asks sarcastically. "Pull up a chair."

Peter shakes his head and continues to smoke his cigarette before standing up to work on the hole. Another hour passes by, and I was fed up. I stand up, my legs and bum feeling numb from sitting on the cold forest ground. The sun was rising and snow flakes were lightly falling.

"This isn't working," I huff, annoyed. "We need to do something else with the bodies."

"Like what?"

"Shit, I don't know," I sigh. "Can't we just hide them somewhere?"

Roman raises an eyebrow. "Where we would hide them?"

I think for a moment. "Let's just go put them in the trunk of your car for now," I suggest. "Then, we can get out of here and find a proper place to put them."

They look at each other hesitantly before agreeing. They search the bodies and find some rope in one of the backpacks. I tie a knot around their feet, leaving extra rope so we could use that to pull the bodies. I then quickly cover the blood stains with some snow while Roman and Peter start dragging the bodies. Thankfully, we find a plowed road that lead back to the house.

I felt worthless as I watch Roman and Peter do all the work. I insisted that I could pull one of the bodies with my good arm, but they told me no. We walked for about twenty minutes before they both hunched over to catch some air. 

"Keys," Peter breathes, motioning for Roman.

"What?"

"I'll get the car."