Chapter 22

"I've been trying to get a hold of you for months now."

I don't even know what to say. My heart was beating rapidly and I felt like I was going to throw up. I was frozen in place, my phone almost slipping out of my hand.

"Why?" I ask, my voice cracking. "You told me you never wanted to see me again."

"Fuck, I know," he sighs. His voice sounded deeper. "I fucked up. I need you, Elsie. I've been going through some shit and I don't know what to do. You're the only person I've wanted to see or talk to."

Tears burn in my eyes and my throat felt like it was closing. "No," is all I manage to get out.

"No? What do you mean no?"

"I tried to be there for you, Roman!" I begin shouting, my anger rising. "I tried to help you, but you pushed me away. You told me you didn't even love me. Do you have any idea of what that does to a person? I was crushed. I couldn't sleep or eat for weeks. You said you wanted to ruin me, Roman, and you did. I've moved on now," I finish my rant, tears falling down my face. I hated myself for getting this emotional when it came to Roman.

"Elsie, I-"

"Don't," I whisper. "Don't ever call me again."

My hands were shaking and I could barely hang up. I immediately crawl into bed, staring at the ceiling. I can't believe he would even call me and tell me all that. It only took ten months for him to admit that he fucked up.

My phone rings again. I grab it, the bright light hurting my eyes. It was from another unknown number. "Hello?" I answer.

"Is this Elsie?"

I immediately smile at the sound of the voice. "Yeah, is this Trey?"

"It sure is," he chuckles. I could tell he was nervous. "The coffee you made me was delicious. I almost went in for another one."

"Really? That's good!"

"Yeah, and I wanted to see you again," he admits and I shake my head, blushing slightly. "So, you must have given me your number for a reason."

"Yeah," I giggle. "I was hoping maybe you would ask me on a date."

"Are you free tomorrow?" Trey asked. "We could go to dinner if you'd like. I know, it's kinda basic-"

"I'd love to," I interrupt him. "Pick me up at seven?"

"That sounds good! Text me your address."

I tell him okay and then we exchange goodbyes. I felt excited about my date with Trey. However, my heart ached when I thought about my first date with Roman. I wanted to punch myself for even thinking about it. I really needed to get my shit together and not think about him. He was out of my life for a reason.

-

It was the next day and I had just finished my shift at the coffeehouse. I head home and immediately begin getting ready for my date. I wear a cute floral dress with a cardigan and curl my hair. I wanted to look extra nice, considering he has only seen me in my uniform and apron.

Right at seven, Trey arrives in a nice vehicle. He had a bouquet of flowers in his hand and he looked very good. He had a button up shirt and nice jeans on, his hair swiped to the side.

"You look beautiful," he compliments, opening the car door for me.

"Thank you," I smile.

We talk on our way to dinner. He tells me about his life and how he was working extremely hard to support his family. His little sister was sick, so his parents were stressed about medical bills. He was an extremely sincere guy, which was something I wasn't use to. I tell him a little bit about myself, only keeping to the basic facts. We arrive at one of the nicest restaurants in Hemlock Grove.