Chapter 17

We arrive back at Roman's house. I notice Letha's blue Prius in the driveway. I grab Caspar and let him run off into a room. The house seems empty and Roman calls Peter's name.

I look down the hallway and see Shelly, her head down and her wrapped hands shakily pointing to the formal living room. Her face was bright blue and I immediately knew something was wrong.

Roman notices as well. We walk down the hallway and look into the room. Two men, one large and the other small, had guns pointed at Peter and Letha. My heart stops as I see them kneeling on the ground. Letha is holding her baby bump while Peter is handcuffed, his face filled with anger.

I wrap my arms around Shelly to comfort her. Roman lifts her chin up and smiles. "It's okay," he whispers. Her face lights up even more, the bright blue radiating off of her cheeks.

Shelly and I watch as the men abruptly turn around, both guns pointing at Roman.

"Roman? You're awake?" Letha questions in surprise.

"Stay back!" The small man threatens. His hands were shaky as he held the gun.

Roman steps closer before the other man shouts, "You have a gun pointed at the back of your head. Do not, I repeat, do not turn around!"

I see Peter give him a slight nod. Roman turns around and the large man holds his gun out further. "You think I won't?" He sneers.

"Put the gun in your mouth," Roman demands, staring into his eyes. The guy looks confused as he shakily does what he says.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" The other man shouts in disbelief.

"Uncuff him," Roman orders, pointing at Peter.

"Screw you!"

Roman shakes his head before looking at the man with the gun in his mouth. "If he's still handcuffed by the time I count to three, pull the trigger...One," the man grabs some keys from his pocket, "Two!"

"Okay! Okay! Just calm down, buddy."

He leans down and releases Peter, who hurriedly crawls in front of Letha.

"The fuck man?!" He continues to put his gun at Roman.

"Come here," he motions. The man hesitantly listens, sliding his weapon back into his holster. "Get into your car, and take the 79 to the West Virginia state line. When you get there, you can take the gun out your mouth," he points to the larger man who looked like he was about to cry before turning to the other one. "And you will punch yourself in the face hard enough to break your nose. Bye now," he waves them off.

"What the fuck?" The guy mutters before disappearing.

Roman noses starts bleeding. He looks up at the ceiling before touching it with his hand.

Letha stands up. "Roman, what did you do to them?"

"I just suggested they relocate," he shrugs. "You're not safe here."

"No shit," Peter grumbles. They stand up and hug for a long time, so I assumed they were back together.

I make Shelly some tea to calm her down while Letha calls her dad. Peter needed a safe place to stay and she claimed her father could help. Roman joins us in the kitchen, giving Shelly a hug. We talk to her for a while before Letha informs us that her dad had a place. I tell Roman that I should probably go home.