12

Princess Yan Da is now back at the Ice Palace. Shuo Gang met her at the entrance.

"What happened?" he asked, noticing the tear streaks on his sister's face.

"It's nothing." She said, avoiding his gaze. Shuo Gang not believing her, carefully studied her. He had only seen his sister like this when she lost her first friend, Peng Peng.

"Your manservant..." Shuo Gang stated. "Is he (dead)?"

Yan Da shook her head. "Let's not talk about him. Where's Xiao Lian?"

This time Shuo Gang was the one who avoided her gaze.

"Uh... you see..."

Yan Da's eyes narrowed. "You didn't." she said, walking quickly inside the palace.

A while ago ...

When Shuo Gang with Xiao Lian and his soldiers got back to the Ice Palace, one of his father's personal guard was waiting for them.

"Prince Shuo Gang, King Huo Yi said to go and see him once you have returned."

Shuo Gang just nodded, dismissing the soldier and his own troop. Honestly, he didn't want to face his father right now. Especially, when he has Yan Da's daughter in his arms.

He looked down at his niece. He smiled. The curious toddler was busy looking around. Eyes wide, taking in every detail of the place. Expression calculating and somewhat amazed. He chuckled, walking towards the throne room.

Opening the door, he was met by questioning eyes. Hi father's and the Mermaid Saint's to be exact.

Ignoring their looks, he entered the room.

"Father," he said, bowing. Xiao Lian a bit shy burrowed her face on his uncle's neck.

"Shuo Gang, how was your mission and care to explain why there's a child in your arms?"

"Father, I'm sorry but we didn't get the Ice leaf from the bear tribe. King Liao Jian reclaimed his thrown and killed Hei Feng."

Flame scowled. He then sighed, calming himself. "That's fine. I'm sure we could find another way to take it from them. And the child?"

Shuo Gang paused, looking directly at his father. "This is Xiao Lian. S-she's Yan Da's daughter."

"Yan Da's?" his father exclaimed in surprise. Even the Mermaid Saint's eyes widened looking at the toddler in his arms.

Flame got up walking towards them. "Let me see her."

"Xiao Lian," Shuo Gang said, coercing the child to look at him. Xiao Lian shook her head, burrowing her face deeper into her neck.

"It's okay." He said in a gentle voice. "He's your grandfather."

"Grandfather?" the child repeated finally looking at him. Shuo Gang smiled, nodding.

The child then turned around facing King Huo Yi. Flame smiled studying the toddler.

She has her mother's nose, mouth, and hair. Her eyes though were so blue. His eyebrow rose.

"Who's her father?" Flame asked his son, meeting his eyes.

"I don't know." Shuo Gang said smoothly. He was smart enough not to tell him that his niece father is a human and just a servant at that. His father would go berserk.

"I see. "Flame stated, reaching out for the little girl. Xiao Lian blinked, staying still. She looked at her grandfather warily. She could see the dark aura around him.

When his hand made contact, she tried not flinched.

"Brave girl," Flame said, ruffling her hair. "Like your mother." He then took her from Shuo Gang.

"She'll stay here with me. Go and rest for a while."

Shou Gang nodded. There's no point in arguing with his father. He then left.

Now....

Yan Da barged into the throne room.

"Father!" She said. Eyebrow raising when her gaze caught his father's baffled expression and the Mermaid Saint's amused one. Both were looking at her daughter.

"Mama!" Xiao Lian exclaimed happily when she saw her. The child immediately went to her. Yan Da chuckled at her daughter's enthusiasm.

"Hey, sweetie." She said, kissing her daughter on the cheek.

"Goodness Yan Da, what are you feeding your daughter?" King Hou Yi asked.

Yan Da just looked at him questioningly.

"She beat your father in chess with just five moves." Mermaid Saint explained chuckling.

Yan Da laughed too hearing that. His father had never lost to anyone before well... until now.

Xiao Lian just looked at them innocently. Well, in their tribe chess was one of the common games the parents teach their children even at a very young age. So, you can say that she's a pro in it.

"Ma, where's Pa?" Xiao Lian asked breaking the cheery atmosphere.

"Oh, sweetie." Yan Da just said, hugging her. "Father, may we be excused?"

Flame noticing the sadness in his daughter's eyes nodded. "Go and Xiao Lian let's play again sometime."

The toddler smiled. "Bye grandpa, bye nana."

Mermaid Saint smiled and waved bye albeit surprised that the child called her nana.

When the two were out, she faced the fire king.

"I'm surprised," she said. "You didn't question her."

King Hou Yi just smirked. "Let's continue our game."

Both actually saw the mark on Xiao Lian's shoulder.