13

"Mama?" Xiao Lian asked, noticing the sadness in her mother's eyes.

Yan Da forced a smile, putting down her daughter on the bed. She then crouched down so that they're on the same level.

"Xiao Lian, your papa has some things to settle. So, he can't be with us from now on," Yan Da said.

"I-I wouldn't be able to see him again?" the toddler asked tears falling from her eyes.

"Of course, you will," Yan Da quickly said, wiping her daughter's tears. "But not for a while. Don't cry. He loves you so much."

The girl smiled wiping her tears. "I know. I love you, mommy."

"I love you too." Yan Da replied, hugging her daughter back.

______________________________

Meanwhile...

Shi was sitting on top of a big rock, thinking.

"Shi?" a voice said behind him.

"I'm just thinking." He replied, turning a bit to look at his brother.

"Is it Princess Yan Da and Xiao Lian?"

Shi sighed.

"I miss them and I can't stop thinking about them."

"That's normal. They're your family after all."

Family, huh? I guess they are. I wonder what they're doing right now? I hope that they're both well and fine.

Bringing out his flute, Shi played the song he had composed for Yan Da and Xiao Lian.

People who heard it stopped what they were doing and listen to it. The song was beautiful yet sad. Others cried, others' heart ached.

The song is full of deep longing and affection.

_________________________

Days passed...

A lot has happened. Yan Da and Shi did meet on some of those days but as enemies.

In those days too, Xiao Lian had become closer to her Uncle Shuo Gang, grandpa and nana. The three adore the toddler so much. Unknown to the three, little by little they are changing. Others noticed though.

King Huo Yi and Mermaid Saint smiles more often. Sincere ones that is. Prince Shuo Gang is kinder. He doesn't lash out that easily anymore and he even socializes with people lower than his status.

The Ice palace was also livelier. Before the place was so quiet and gloomy. Now, however, it was filled with the little girl's laugh and giggles.

The people, both from Ice and Fire tribes, love the child too. She's so lively and energetic. Adults were also amazed with her intelligence.

Not long, the young princess is known among the tribes. They even gave her a title... "The Young Princess of the Three Realms."

_______________________

Currently...

Xiao Lian is skipping down the hallway of the Ice Palace. She's about to go to her room when she saw someone standing on the bridge. Sadly, looking at the sky.

The little girl frowned. She doesn't like seeing people down so instead of going in her room she decided to go and see the pretty lady.

"Hello!" she said when she was close enough to that person.

The lady blinked, quickly wiping the tears in her eyes.

"Are you alright?" asked the little princess, concern in her voice.

"I'm fine." The lady replied, smiling.

"It's okay no need to say you're fine when you're not."

"You are Xiao Lian right?"

"Uh huh, mommy named me and you are?"

The lady laughed. This time for real. "We have the same name. But you can call me auntie Lotus."

"Really!?" the girl asked excitedly.

Lotus nodded, smiling at the child's eagerness.

"Yay!" Her family is growing. "Do you want to play with me? Everyone else is busy so...I'm also alone now."

Lotus smiled. She doesn't know why but she felt an instant connection with the child.

"Of course," she said, accepting the girl's hand.

The two then went to Xiao Lian's room.

"So, what do you want to do?"

The girl tilted her head. A thoughtful look on her face. "Mm, dancing?"

"Dancing?" Lotus repeated.

The child nodded eagerly. "I want to learn how to dance. Can you teach me?"

Lotus smiled, warmth filling her heart. It has been so long since someone had asked her that. "Of course" She said.

The two then spent the whole day dancing.

For the first time in months, Princess Lotus felt really happy. The child's smiles were infectious. She couldn't help but return them.

Meanwhile, in the throne room...

"Yan Da, have you informed the Ice Princes?"

"Yes, father. Tomorrow they will come back in here."

"I see. You may go," Flame said, dismissing her daughter. Yan Da bowed, leaving her father.

King Huo Yi then went out to his balcony. "It's time to end this."

He whispered into the air. A gentle breeze then caressed his cheek, agreeing.