Take It Back

I had made it through Thanksgiving dinner at Paris and Doyle's with only minor emotional scarring. I tried to put on a happy face, but I couldn't get the look on Logan's face from that morning out of my head. Paris noticed I was out of sorts, but was caught up in her own family drama so I thankfully didn't have to elaborate. I made it back to my apartment armed with two pies and two bottles of wine. The cab driver had made a comment about my haul that would normally have elicited some sort of snappy comeback, but my mind was elsewhere so I ignored him. I kept replaying our fight. I wanted to text him or call him, but I knew nothing would help. He would came back on his terms, and if I were to push him he was stubborn enough to just wait longer. I thought for a moment about calling my mom, explain the situation and get a little insight. Thinking of the words to even begin to explain it to her, however, made my stomach turn. How do you tell your mother that you are casually sleeping with your almost ex-fiancee who is dating someone else? You don't. I had done enough disappointing myself lately, I didn't need to disappoint her too. So instead I sat alone with my thoughts and a mug of wine, drowning my sorrows.

My thoughts were interrupted by the intercom.

I jumped up and practically ran across the apartment. "Hello?" I said hopeful for a certain voice on the other end.

"Hey, it's me" his thick deep voice made my heart jump.

I pressed the button to open the door, clicking the door open. I crossed my arms and leaned on the counter in the kitchen waiting for him. He didn't say anything when he entered into apartment. I watched him carefully as he put his bag on the floor. He turned to face me, fidgeting with his tie and running his fingers through his hair.

"I wasn't sure you were going to come back" I said breaking the silence.

"I wasn't sure I was going to" he admitted.

"I'm glad you did" I said taking a couple of steps closer to him.

He nodded.

"I mean otherwise I would have had to eat two full pies by myself."

"Pies?" the corners of his mouth turned up slightly.

"You said you weren't going to get pie for Thanksgiving. I wanted to get you pie. I couldn't decide so I got an apple and a pumpkin."

"You bought me pie" he said walking the rest of the way to me and finally pulling me in for a big hug. "I'm sorry I left like that Ace."

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things."

We stood in the kitchen just holding one another for a moment. I breathed in the smell of his cologne and the faint smell of cigar. I felt my heartbeat slow and a wave of calm rush over me.

"Are we okay?" I asked quietly still holding on to him tightly.

"You bought me pie, how could we not be" he said releasing me from his embrace.

I pointed at the mug of wine in front of me and he nodded. I poured him one and handed it to him. We watched each other cautiously again for a moment, both of us nursing our wine.  

"I feel a little funny drinking wine out of coffee mug."

"Well you know I don't cook."

"Cooking has nothing to do with wine glasses."

"Just drink your wine" I scolded.

He smiled and took a long drink from his mug.

"How was Thanksgiving?" I asked tentatively.

"Better now" he said with a warmth in his eyes that made my breath hitch.

"Dinner with your family was that good?" I asked my tone a little more relaxed.