Miss Sang

Sang POV

I continue to stare as the black and white pieces are moved across the board. Both Kota and Owen are staring at the board deep in concentration. I came upon them doing whatever this is about an hour ago. I think it's a game of some sort. Curious, I sat down beside them and watched. Kota won the first game. The second game I began to understand. Owen ended up winning. This is the third game and I think Owen is going to win. He's two moves away from something they called checkmate. I can see the potential moves in my head. It's kind of like a puzzle whose pieces change depending on what the other person does.

"Checkmate," Owen states. Kota sighs taking in the board. I knew it. They both finally look up and glance at me. Finally I can ask without interrupting.

What? I ask simply pointing to the board.

"It's a game called chess, Ten. Do you want to learn how to play?" Kota asks me.

I know. I state proudly. He narrows his eyes, skeptical.

"Would you like to play a round?" Owen asks. I nod immediately. It looks fun. Kota gets up and I take his spot. Apparently he has something to do because he leaves, leaving me alone with Owen. I don't think I've ever been alone with him yet.

I look down at the black pieces on my side already planning what to do. When Owen doesn't do anything I glance up at him. He is staring at me intently. I tilt my head to the side questioning. The sides of his mouth tilt up in an almost smile. It's only there for a second before it's gone. He looks back down at the board and makes his first move.

****

Checkmate. Owen stares, eyes wide, at the board in what I think is shock. When he doesn't move I lean forward reaching a finger out and press it to his nose. His eyes whip up to meet mine.

"Did you just boop me on the nose?" I nod in the affirmative. The small smile comes back and his eyes sparkle before he glances back down at the board. "Have you ever played chess before, Miss Sang?"

I shake my head and reach forward repositioning all of the pieces. He helps me set them back in their corresponding positions.

Again?

"Sure, do you mind if I discuss something with you while we play?" he asks chuckling slightly. Dazed by the sight of him laughing I barely manage to shake my head. It takes everything I have to focus back on the board. "Now, I'm sure you have noticed that at times many of us disappear or have to leave suddenly."

He doesn't ask it as a question but I nod my head anyway. I have noticed that they leave randomly but they've always come back so I've never been too concerned with it. For all I know, it could be the normal thing people do. I have no idea what is normal. He reaches forward advancing one of the smaller pieces.

"We are part of an organization called the Academy. It was founded by shifters in order to help other shifters. We are a wolf shifter team, pack, but there are other shifters in the Academy as well," he states before pausing letting the information sink in.

You help shifters?

"Yes, we are given missions that involve investigating and helping other shifters who can't go to the human police. We didn't want to keep this side of who we are from you but we needed to make sure we could trust you first," he explains. I nod again as our game continues. I'm only a few moves away.