Chapter 1

Beep! Beep! Beep! The alarm clock rang.

"Yawn..." I got up and stretched on my small bed and peered over at the time, 5:30. Perfect, just on time to get ready for school. I pressed the alarm clock button and then walked drowsily over to my bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. I had to look good for the first week of college...right?

To start off, I'm Andrea Evers, and I'm 18 years old. I've just entered my freshman year of college in Oxford University to begin and pursue my job interest of graphic designing. It was truly a miracle to get in, first of all. I couldn't have been luckier to make it, because it's only for the best of the best. It's been almost a whole week; and today is Friday, so our professors have lowered the assignments for today, or at least I've heard.

As I brushed my not-so-good-looking teeth, I heard a buzz from my phone. It was a text from my friend, Julia. I felt joy flood through myself. Julia has been my best friend for as long as I can remember, and it felt great to get a text from her since it's been such a long time.

'Hey, Andrea, how ya doing? Congrats on the Oxford acceptance btw! Really happy, can u believe we are in college already?! Mad!☺ Hey, maybe you'll find a good life in London, with a nice house and maybe even a cute British boyfriend ;).Text me l8r.'

I texted her rapidly and hastily with as many details of what has happened so far, with every emotion in it. By the end, the page had extended so much, I couldn't see half of what I wrote. I hit 'send' and went to quickly take a shower. I grabbed my towel and clothes and turned on the tap to a warmer temperature. It was only fall here in England, but it was getting a bit cold, so I took warmer showers. I felt the water trickle down my back and to my bare legs, releasing every bit of tension in my muscles that instant. I scrubbed soap vigorously as I attempted to strain my neck to see the time on my clock in my dorm room. 6:00. Uh oh! How did time go by so fast? All I did was brush my teeth and text Julia. And honestly, half an hour may not seem like a long time, but it is. I'm not trying to brag, but when you happen to be in Oxford, no minute is wasted. Every second is precious, and anything can be done if you manage your time wisely. My mom used to say that all the time...

Speaking of my mom, I should probably text her. I miss her terribly, for she is back in my home in "sunnyside California" in the United States, so it's probably warmer there and much more farther than where I live now, a cold, damp area with tons of thickening fog that created a barricade against the windows of houses and vehicles, not allowing us to see. Yup, this is England. I quickly texted her of recent happenings and then went to get dressed.

It wasn't too cold though, so I decided to wear a preppy white polo shirt that I tucked into a grey accordion pleated skirt topped with a fitting burgundy cardigan, which I rolled the sleeves up to my elbow and kept the buttons open with a matching bracelet. I looked over at my curling iron, which looked ready. I curled your hair and tied two little parts of my hair to the back and pinned it with a burgundy flower pin. I admit, I liked how I looked today.

I took out some cereal and milk from my mini kitchenette (I didn't like the canteen food) and ate quickly and then grabbed my bags and then rushed out the door at 6:45 A.M.

I was on time, as usual, for my first class, a simple designing program to help me create software visual arts and design layouts. Yep, I liked to be artsy. I took my seat in the middle row, I never liked front or back. I looked around for any new arrivals of students. Even though the school year had already begun, some students were coming a little later. As I started to take minor notes, I took a double take and silent gasped.