Chapter 22

My eyes bulged out in shock and surprise as I watched Finn slowly walk away in denial, disappearing under the quickly setting sunset. I felt a sickly feeling rise even more in my stomach, mixed with a pang of extreme guilt, burning my insides. I turned around and looked at Jack, angry and puzzled.

"Jack!! Why'd you come out?!"

Jack looked at me equally confused. "You told me to! That was the whole plan!"

"Didn't you get any of my phone calls?!"

"My phone died right when I left!"

"Well....fuck that." I looked around wearily and frantically, not sure what to do now. Jack looked at me seriously, walking towards me.

"Ok, what happened? Why were you trying to call it off?"

I explained Jack the whole thing, sadness pouring out of my eyes like a waterfall. He looked at me, listening to every word I was saying, and nodded.

"I love him too, Jack...I just...I can feel it.."

Jack's expression turned grave and he began to turn around, walking towards the box of chocolates and flowers he had put on a nearby bench. He picked them up and stared at them for a long time, then faced me again. He handed me the items and looked straight at me, expressionless.

"Well, might as well use these then. Not let them go to waste."

I shrugged and looked at the box of chocolates. I tilted the container to see the price, and my eyes widened.

"Jack...why'd you spend so much? You could've just bought a small, cheap box."

Jack stared out into space, and responded, "...I don't know. I guess I just did, Andrea."

"Oh..."

I looked at the flowers, and smiled, taking a whiff of it. They smelled so pleasant, it was a mixture of peonies and....jasmine. What an odd combination. But it smelled divine. I looked up at Jack, who looked a bit dull. I gave him a hug.

"Thanks for trying, though. Sorry I didn't get to contact you....in a way."

Jack didn't notice me for a while; he was deep in thought. Then, he suddenly looked down at me.

"Hm? Oh, no problem. I'm sorry too. I probably, uh...ruined your chances with Finn now." He pursed his lips and stroked my hair as I rested my head on his chest, trying to replay everything that just happened.

"I thought it was just a JOKE!"

"It was, Finn, it was! And so is this! It's all a joke!"

"I'm not mad Andrea."

"...You're not?"

"No. I'm not. I'm just shocked."

 I felt a sharp pang hit my chest, and it burned like hell. It was a meteor that was filled with memories, bad ones, and it was covered in hatred dust. It crashed right into my heart and let out a lot of feelings from it. Finn...

I felt another wet tear escape my eye after thinking about how cruel this joke was. It was not okay; anyone would be hurt by it.

The tear stained Jack's shirt, and he looked back at me, brows furrowed. He wiped the tears from my eyes and I almost let out a whimper when he put his finger on my lips to shush me.

I let out an even louder whimper of surprise when his lips touched mine. Just for a second. It was like a spark; all quiet. But amazing. Then it ended. And my eyes were matched up with his green ones, a small flame sparkling in them along with identical guilt.