A Day At The Courtyard

~~O~~

It has been three days since Malbim was held captive, Mirialia has been very eager to see him. But every time she goes to the dungeon, the guards were always blocking her way, telling her that she was not allowed to enter. She pleaded if she could see him even just for a few minutes but the guards kept on insisting that it was the king's order.

Much to her dismay, Mirialia made her way back to her chamber. She sat on the bed and she frowned while looking at the dresses that have been neatly piled up at the table. It was the clothes Thranduil bought for her while she stays. She did not wear any of it, nor did try to look at it. She preferred the ones Tauriel gave to her.

"I want to see Malbim." She told herself.

"Mirialia." Tauriel called to her as she stood in front of the door. "The king requires your presence at the courtyard."

Her response was a quick negative sign of the head before she lowered her eyes to the ground.

"I do not want to." she quickly replied. "He does not allow me to visit Malbim, then I will not be joining him at the courtyard or anywhere in the palace."

Tauriel sighed and sat beside her.

"I think he wants to know you more." she said while holding Mirialia's hand. "Did you know that the dresses he bought for you, came from Dale? He thinks it best fit you."

Tauriel walked towards the table and gently lay her hand on one of the clothes.

"When these clothes arrived, I thought these are for him." she slightly chuckled. "But he told me that these are for the guest. It's for you. Maybe you should try this one. He will appreciate it if he can see you wearing this." It was a dark red velvet, ankle length gown.

She looked at Tauriel as she held the dress, and heard a whisper. "See him... Go."

She sighed. "Fine. I will wear it."

~~O~~

When they arrived at the courtyard, Thranduil's cold blue eyes was immediately fixed on her.

"She is here as you requested. I shall take my leave." Tauriel bowed and left.

"Wait. What?" Mirialia said nervously.

The king walked past her but his eyes did not leave her. A slight smile curved on his lips, seeing her wearing one of the dresses.

"You fear to be alone with me." he said. Mirialia did not answer, and just watched him walk towards a tree.

~~O~~

The king stare at the sky, the chirping of the birds can be heard. Looking around, she found the place enchanting. The sight was breathtaking. Bushes with luscious looking fruits and blankets of multicolored blooming flowers surrounded them, their scents tickling her nose.

"Why did you summon me, my lord?" she asked hesitantly.

But the king did not respond. Mirialia sighed and sat on a smooth wooden chair.

She glanced at Thranduil, his back was facing her.

"You have a beautiful garden." She finally said, admitting that he was not going to answer her question.

"Indeed. My woods truly outdid itself." he replied.

She was going to ask about Malbim when Thranduil spoke first. "Can you sing for me?" He asked.

"No, I do not sing." she answered.

When Thranduil faced her, she turned her gaze away.

"Your mother had a beautiful voice. Looking at you now, you remind me so much of her." the Elvenking said gently.

Mirialia felt something in his voice. Loss.

~~O~~

Mirialia stood from her seat and slowly took some steps forward.

"I know you are a great friend of my mother. But please, you must let me leave and let me go away from here. More men will be coming for me, and I no longer want to bring anymore disturbance in your kingdom. I am begging you, my lord. Let me leave."

"I am fulfilling Mithrandir's request to keep you under my protection, until the king of Rohan arrives." He denied her plea.

"You cannot do that." Mirialia said.

"Who said I cannot? I am the one in power here, not you." Thranduil noted sharply. "You will not leave, unless I say so."

Mirialia, now holding back her tears. "You have always been so strict, it feels like you own me. I am not your property, and I will never be your property!"

"If your mother is here, she will not allow you to leave as well!" He shot back.

"But she is not here! And you are not my mother!" She added before storming away.

Thranduil could do nothing but stared at her as she faded from view.

Why? Do you not want to be protected? Do you not want me to protect you?

~~O~~

Thank you for reading!