The Queen's Journey

~~O~~

"To King Thranduil and Queen Miriel of Eryn Lasgalen,

May the Valar bless you more in the coming years of reign. I wish that all kingdoms may prosper from your guidance and allegiance.

I write to you because of an urgent need. Our land is almost falling under the control of Lord Grimmond, a great descendant of the Numenorean Azrubel and the leader of our neighboring land Heselon. A vicious warlord is just one of the titles held against him.

King Oropher bestowed upon my family the honor of governing the land for so long. But little by little, the Lord of Men is savaging our beloved land. Please help us find a way to bring peace and unity once again.

Lady Gilwen of Carantheas

~~O~~

"Carantheas," Thranduil started, his eyes still glued to the letter. "is crying for help."

"What?"

The Elvenking heard the new voice to see Amariel entering the meeting room with her handmaidens Lenneth and Nauriel. When the Elder sat down beside her husband, Thranduil continued.

"Why is it that Men are always looking for trouble?" He said after reading the letter once more.

"Our kin," Amariel said worriedly. "and all these years I thought they were living there peacefully."

"What are we going to do?" Mirialia asked. When no one answered, she narrowed her gaze. "We are going to help them, are we not?"

"Most of the time, I am sending Legolas for this kind of errand. But he is not here." Thranduil replied. "We will send someone else."

"Let me go then." the queen volunteered. "I am carrying your son's tasks, so let me carry this one as well."

All eyes were now fixed on her.

"A queen should not leave her kingdom, my lady." Glauron said. "This errand can be handled by Calen or Maethron."

"And a queen should not turn her back from the people crying for help, Lord Glauron." Mirialia replied. "The letter was addressed to Thranduil and me, I simply cannot ignore it."

"Let me tell you that Grimmond is a descendant of...pirate kings." Glauron smirked. "Will you be able to handle him?"

Mirialia stayed silent. Memories of her dark past with Gideon and his ancestors resurfaced.

"Enough." Thranduil's voice echoed in the room.

She turned her head to her husband.

"I will entrust this errand to you then, my queen." He said. "But I am hoping for a diplomatic result."

The queen smiled, knowing that Thranduil would allow her to go. "I will do whatever it takes to resolve this trouble in a peaceful way."

~~O~~

"Do not ask Maethron with too many questions, he has a lot of work to do."

Mirialia nodded with a sigh. She was not tired, but Lenneth had been lecturing her while combing her hair.

"And do try not to get burned by the sun, we have a good week's worth of travel before we reach the land of Carantheas and it would do to be in good conditions."

Mirialia let her dear friend speak to her heart's content. After all, soon they would be away for the month long diplomatic visit to Carantheas, a travel southeast of the Anduin River, and this was the only way Lenneth knew how to show she was nervous.