Leaving

~~O~~

She was gone again. His Mirialia, his wife, his only love, was gone again.

When Thranduil married her, some people did not want them to be together; especially the people of Rohan. Nevertheless, they were joined together in his kingdom; at the very place where it all started. There was once a time when all he wanted was to be left alone.

There never seemed to be enough time for that. He was always being called for meetings, and no one wanted to hear of his personal sorrows and tears. When Mirialia came into his life, he realized he could pour all of his emotions into her ears, and she would still be there. Now, to be by himself is agony.

"Three weeks?" Thranduil counted the days on his head. "It felt like three months." Sometimes he thought it's been three years. He felt so bored and useless without her being there for him, to love him in every way possible. He stared at the side of the bed where she sleeps on. He took great care not to mess it up when he fall asleep every night. He knew it was stupid, but he feels like it was his duty as her husband to keep it that way for when she returns to him.

IF she returns to me.

How could I have been so blind, pushing her away like that?!

My heart fits perfectly into hers, like two puzzle pieces finally being joined. We will always and forever be. This I know for certain. And I know Miriel feels the same way. I know she must be suffering without me; I can feel it.

Our bond.

Bonds of marriage.

But how can I put everything I feel for her into words?

It was more complicated than it sounds on his head.

A week after she ran away, his son Legolas went out to find her. He knew something was wrong when he saw her running to the stable. He did not need to ask him what was going on. Instead, he rode on his horse and left a promise. "I will look for my mother, I cannot wait here and do nothing. And when I bring her back, you must fix this." He said to him in Elvish. Thranduil sensed a mixture of frustration and sadness in his words. Legolas now look up to her as his mother figure.

~~O~~

That night, Mirialia held herself close in bed, shivering in cold and tears. Gilroch led her to the forest of Lorien, where she fainted and fell to the ground. The next thing she knew, she found herself lying on a bed with several elf maidens checking on her. One of them told her that a certain marchwarden found her and brought her to them.

"Haldir brought you here, my lady." she said. "We know who you are. You are the queen of Northern Greenwood."

They reported her to Celeborn and Galadriel and the two hurried to her. When she saw the Lady of the Light approaching her with a worried face, she could not help it and cried. She cried so hard in her arms. Galadriel gently stroking her back and she too shed a few tears. "Oh my dear Miriel. Just cry and let it all out."

She felt her pain, and told her that everything will be all right. The Lord and the Lady have been her comfort during her stay in their place. Celeborn tried to cheer her up by allowing her to use their weaving tools. He knew it was her favorite hobby.

Laughter and music filled the air during the day, but when nighttime came she was all alone. She tried to imagine her arms were Thranduil's but his are more warm than hers could ever be.

Damn.

How could anyone have the hold on my heart this tight?

I hope he knows I will never ever cheat on him. I want no other man. Not even Erchirion. A great friend he is of mine, but more of a brother-like figure in my eyes.

My husband....

Am I going to lose him?

The question left unanswered until she fell asleep.

~~O~~

Birds chirping outside woke her up the next morning. She sat upright and looked around the room. It was a healing room; she saw several familiar herbs on the table. When she tried to get up, she felt something different. Her body fell weak. No, weaker. She felt like she's a candle burning out. Fast.

What is happening to me?

A knock at the door brought her back to her senses. When it opened, a blond-haired elf wearing a gray cloak entered. He gracefully bowed at her and smiled.

"I am glad to see you awake, my lady." he greeted. "My name is Haldir. I found you on our forest and brought you here."

"Oh, it was you." she responded. "Thank you, Haldir. Where is my horse?"

"On our stable. He is all right, do not worry." Haldir answered.

"I am grateful to you." Mirialia said.

"I am honored to meet you, Queen Miriel. Wife of King Thranduil."

She could not breathe upon hearing his name.

"Someone arrived today and wants to see you, my lady." Haldir informed her.

Suddenly, a familiar elf walked in. She smiled weakly upon seeing his face. "Legolas..." she murmured.

Haldir bowed and left them to give some privacy.

"Hello handsome..." Mirialia greeted him.

He walked towards her and kneel beside the bed. "My lady, we are so worried about--"

He stopped and stared at her hands which he was holding.

"Your hands are cold."

Looking at her pale face, her braided long hair falling on her back. Her eyes were full of sadness as she looked at him.

Before he could say anything else, reality hit him. And it hit him hard. Gently cupping her cheek, he felt her skin getting cold as well.

"No. Mother." His blue eyes water.

"You're fading..."

~~O~~