Sindarin Lessons

~~O~~

Mirialia silently read the books that have been piled up on her small table. Thranduil gave her a task to learn the Sindarin language. He said it will be difficult for her if Westron was the only language she knew, so he assigned a teacher for her. Day and night she studied, with only a few hours of sleep.

The elf spent half of her day teaching her the basic and most common words and phrases. There was a time when Tauriel visited her, she could not even look in her eyes.

~~
"Why did you do it?" Tauriel asked with a cold voice. "Out of all the people in this kingdom, it was the king you betray."

"I know." Mirialia answered. "And I learned from it, that's why I'm here. Facing the consequences."

"So you let him escape and chose to suffer under his punishment?" the Silvan elf questioned her decision.

There was a short silence before Mirialia was able to answer.

"I'm used to it, Tauriel. I am so...used to it. Everywhere I look when I was in the ship, I'm seeing punishment." she explained. "Malbim is one of the kindest person I have ever met. And I can't stand seeing him in the dungeon. It's the least that I can do for him. If someone you truly care is suffering right in front of you, will you not go to him? Will you do nothing?"

Mirialia sat down on her bed, looking at her hands. "I know him more than King Thranduil does. And when he said that there is no good in him, he is wrong."

Tauriel kneel before her and held her hand. "Mellon, there's a story behind every person. Trust and honesty is important to Thranduil. Living for thousands of years, he can tell if someone is lying to him or not. Others can easily hide their true nature, so he is just being cautious."
~~

She sighed and closed the book she was reading. Standing up, Mirialia glanced at the window when Tauriel entered the room once more.

"The king requires your presence in the library. I think he would like to know how you've been doing in your study." she said.

Mirialia nodded.

The two walked towards the library, followed by two elf guards. "Just remember all that you have learned." Tauriel whispered.

"Yes." the other answered.

"Good. Then, there should be no problem." the elf reassured her.

~~O~~

Mirialia took a deep breath as they entered the library, they saw Thranduil sitting on a chair. His left leg crossed on top of the other. He was wearing his favorite silver tunic, the one he always wore when he was at the throne room during a meeting. The two bowed to him.

"Stay here, please." Mirialia whispered.

"You can leave us, Tauriel." Thranduil said.

The elf obeyed and bowed, looking at her as she left the room.

Mirialia bit her lower lip, she was alone again with the Elvenking. Flipping a page of the book in front of him, he looked at her and spoke.

"Tauriel is not your bodyguard." Thranduil said blankly. "Sit down."

Mirialia only saw one chair that was placed a few feet across his, so she had no choice but to sit there. She slightly moved the chair away from him and sat down.

"Am I a horrid creature?" The king questioned her action, but Mirialia said nothing.

Thranduil turned his attention to the opened book laying in front of him. "I believe the teacher taught you well."