When All Hope Is Lost

~~O~~

"We are dealing with a group of ships, led by Gideon. Not just one." Aragorn informed Eomer.

They met secretly with other messengers from Northern Greenwood, and Eomer asked for his advice.

"These are the corsairs who did not follow the will of Sauron, they refuse to make peace with my kingdom but they no longer attacked us." the King of Gondor explained. "A messenger told me that they are stationed near Pelargir. But let me warn you that these corsairs are strong enough to fight back."

"I have three thousand strong men with me, we can defeat them. We are still waiting for more from the Woodland Realm." Eomer turned to Calen. "Any news from your king?"

The elf shook his head, "King Thranduil will not go to war that easily. He is more concerned for the lives of our kin."

"But what about the lady?" Eomer agitated. "Are you telling me that he will do nothing to save her?"

Calen took a deep breath, not hoping for any chance for the Elvenking to join them. "I will stand with you, my lord. I want to save her."

"But she is a part of your kin as well." Eomer reasoned out. "She's a peredhel, is she not? A half-elven! Sindar blood flows in her veins. How could Thranduil abandon her?"

"I wish I can answer that for you. But I do not know what our king will do." Calen said. "Let's just hope that someone or something will change his mind."

~~O~~

"Father, I do not understand why you are not doing anything about this. Mirialia needs our help, your help." Legolas said.

"Have you already forgotten what happened to our kingdom from the last battle? You were not here, you did not witness how our soldiers died defending our land." Thranduil pointed out.

"I do not have to be here to fully understand what happened." Legolas replied. "But Father, please don't be a cold-hearted king."

"I will not risk the lives of our kin, for the sake of one...half-mortal." Thranduil said.

"Enough! Please look outside, Adar! Our soldiers are out there! They all want to save her! Our kin wants to save her!" Legolas shouted. "And they are all waiting for you!"

The Elvenking did not expect his son to be so agitated and angry. They were having misunderstandings before but it has not gone this far. Tauriel, on the other hand, was standing outside the king's room. She heard everything that Legolas shouted, and clasped her hands under her chin.  Tears streaked down her face, praying that something will change his mind.

There was a long silence inside Thranduil's chamber, neither the king or the prince spoke.

"You love her." Legolas said softly, finally breaking the silence. "Do not deny it. Because you cannot deny it."

Thranduil was about to say something when he saw what he thought was an elf child. The little elf ran across the room. The Elvenking followed her with his stare, when the child ran towards a female figure that kneel in front of her. Thranduil's eyes widened when he saw who it was. It was Mirialia, with a silver circlet on her forehead and Oropher's necklace hanging around her neck. The child then turned to him and called out,

"Ada! Ada! Nana is here!"

He saw Mirialia smiling shyly at him while wrapping her arms on the child. A familiar voice suddenly spoke to him.

"Your decision will change the course of her future...and yours."

"Ada?" A voice called out to him. "Ada?"

A touch on his shoulder snapped him back to reality, "Father, are you all right?" Legolas asked.

He looked at his son, then glanced back to the spot where he saw Mirialia and the child, but the figures were gone. Legolas also looked at the direction where his father was staring at.

"What is it?" His son asked him.

"Leave me." Thranduil immediately said. "I wish to be alone."

When Legolas left the room, Thranduil walked towards the balcony. He could not believe what he just saw.

"What is this Elrond?" He asked in his mind. "Why are you showing this to me?"

"You have asked me before of what your future will be." Elrond replied. "I just showed it to you."

"And how can you be so sure?" Thranduil asked.

"It is the only future that I am clearly seeing..." The Lord of Rivendell answered. "for you."

Legolas and Tauriel waited patiently outside the room, when its door opened. Thranduil walked out and he saw the soldiers, his army gathered in front of him. All of them were waiting for his command. Some of them were murmuring, while others looked at each other then back to him. When Legolas approached him, everyone became silent.

"What is the King's decision?" His son's voice echoed in the halls.

Everyone waited for his answer. Thranduil glanced at his people, he saw courage on each and every one of them. He sensed on every soldier their willingness to fight. He admired their bravery and their loyalty. After a short silence, he finally announced his decision.

"Prepare for battle!"

~~O~~

As the sun rises, the corsairs were busy gathering the treasures that they've got by ransacking several merchant ships.

They were laughing and drinking, celebrating their victories over the years. Telling each other that they could not be this rich if they followed the will of Sauron. A drunk corsair dizzily walked towards the deck. Suddenly, an arrow pierced on his neck and he fell on the water.

Then, a shout was heard that startled all of them.

"ROHIRRIM!"

~~O~~

Thank you for reading!