Weight Gain, Hormones and...Pufferfish?

~~O~~

Mirialia knew her pregnancy would be hard, but seriously, the morning sickness was becoming annoying. It has practically became a routine. Wake up, vomit. Drink tea, vomit. Eat her favorite salad, more tea, she would think that she will be fine, and then sure as sun rises up...vomit. Still, for the future of her baby, she could put up with it.

Four months into the pregnancy, it was hard to know what mood she was in. Thranduil had been lucky so far; he could deal with an emotional and hormonal Miriel. Her food cravings had been rather subdue, nothing that he could not grab from the kitchen at the last minute. Lately, she had been obsessed with putting vanilla extract on practically everything. He shrugged and only handed the condiment bottle to her.

Tonight, she had looked at him with pleading eyes, when she said, "Thranduil, I want to eat apple bread right now."

"What? Miriel, it's three o' clock in the morning. You cannot have a craving right now."

"Who said I can't? It's not my fault that my body decides to have a craving at three o' clock in the morning." Mirialia said. "It's not that hard. All the ingredients are in the kitchen."

"Then why don't you make it yourself and let me go back to bed?"

Of course, that was the wrong thing to say. Horns of alarm rang in his mind. She looked about to burst into tears when he saw her and sighed.

"Alright. I'm sorry. Do not cry. I'll make them for you." He leaned forward to peck her cheek before beating a hasty exit.

~~O~~

It really was an untimely hour to have a food craving, but he could do nothing about hormones. Now, he needed all his energy for the task at hand.

Apple bread, I can do this.

He remembered what Mirialia just said. All he needed was here in the kitchen. At least, he knew where he could find those. Now with the ingredients in hand, he was at a loss. How much applesauce should he use? How many eggs? Should he use butter or oil? Amariel reminded him that his wife should be all about eating right. Choosing between white flour and wheat flour, Thranduil was nowhere closer to where he was before.

Twenty minutes later, he was still staring at a bowl of wheat flour, a bottle of applesauce, a tray of eggs.....and no apple bread.

Glancing at the clock, he decided on his next course of action. He found himself standing at the door of Glauron and Amariel's chamber.

A couple of knocks later, a very masculine voice answered. He sounded irritated, and sounded very much disturbed. Glauron opened the door and was about to say something when he saw Thranduil standing before him.

"Forgive me, if I disturbed your rest." the Elvenking humbly said.

"Oh, it's you. No Thranduil, do not mind it." the Elder replied.

"What is wrong? Is it your wife...is she?"

"No. I mean yes. No, everything is fine with Miriel."

"So..."

Suddenly, Thranduil seemed to lose his nerve. His original reason for coming to them seemed ridiculous. He managed to cover his awkwardness by saying, "I just forgot what time will be our meeting for today with the council of Dale."

"Oh. Hold on, let me check."

After Glauron rambled on about the meeting schedule, the Elvenking thought the perfect opening to ask the Elder. "I'm just wondering ifyouknowhowtomakeanapplebread?"