Kabanata 2 - Misogyny, Purgatory, and Free tours

Kabanata 2

Misogyny, Purgatory, and Free tours

"So, are you like...our secret brother?" Usisa ni Nikolai habang nag sasalo-salo kaming lahat sa hapag kainan. He dropped his spoon and fork and dramatically leaned in towards Keith who was sitting in between us.

"Stop it, Nikolai. He is not our brother." Saway ko sa kanya. I know my own brother, he can be a bit nosy and obnoxious at times and he also likes pissing off our guests.

"I can be your brother, if you want." Keith replied politely. Mom and Dad laughed at my brother's silly notes. "Since, I don't have any siblings...not that I know of anyways." He mumbled the last part which he probably thought nobody heard. But I did.

"Well, is it okay for me to call you Kuya?" Nikolai was now on his knees by the chair grasping at Keith's arm.

"Nikolai." Mom said sternly. "Behave. Let your kuya eat his dinner."

"I'm sorry, but Mom! Did you know how long I have waited to have an older brother? Like all my life!" He slumped back on his chair while letting out a dramatic sigh.

"Oh, excuse me for not being good enough for you, Niko, and sorry for putting up with me for seven years." I sarcastically replied, placing my palm to my chest for exaggeration. Keith was just leaning back. He looked so confused as his head turned left and right letting the both of us exchange arguments. And I, trying so hard to regain my sanity, tried so hard to ignore this rugged pillar in between me and my brother.

"Sisters are different because they're girls. You won't get it."

"Okay, that's just misogyny." I put down my spoon and fork. This kid just declared war.

"What's a misogyny? You are not even making any sense--"

"Okay, that's enough both of you. Itigil niyo na yan at baka mauwi pa sa totoong away yan." Pigil ni Mom sa bangayan namin ni Nikolai. Napatahimik kaming dalawa ni Nikolai at itinuloy ang pag-kain. Then, I heard Keith let out a rich full chuckle. This time, it seems authentic. Like this was all amusing for him.

"I can tell that every dinner time is the highlights of your day, Mr. and Mrs. Aureus." His lips curled into what seems like a genuine smile. His aura changed from what I saw earlier when we're alone. It's like he's a different person.

"You have no idea, Keith." Dad finally spoke, his tone was filled with humor which was quite strange. My dad was the serious type of dad, he does not share jokes with his kids. Must've been a lawyer thing, I guess. He's always been serious around us. But despite the stern attitude, I can always tell that he's a loving father. He just had a different way of showing it.

The dinner went well and everybody was in a light mood. Mom was very hands-on, making sure Keith was comfortable in his bed as he was staying at our guest room. She kept on insisting that Keith should let her redecorate the room so as to make it customized for him. Yes, she was that excited to have him here with us.

"You kids should sleep, and Keith, are you sure you're ready to go to school tomorrow?" Mom said as she was about to close the lights on Keith room. Kulang nalang ay i-tuck in bed niya ito.

"Yeah, you might still be tired from the trip." Or the tragedy. But I did not let myself blurt out the last part. That would be very insensitive of me.

"No, I'm fine. Besides, I'm excited to be with Gaby in school." That caught me off guard. Nawala ang aking balanse mula sa pagkakahilig sa barandilya ng pintuan sa kaniyang kwarto. Tumayo nalang ako ng tuwid at pinag salikop ang aking mga braso. Even swallowing my own saliva becomes so difficult for me at this point.