Kabanata 8 - Orion, Aries, and the Constellations

Kabanata 8

Orion, Aries, and the Constellations

Days gone by without making any contact with Keith Alessandro Andrada. I don't think that I have the stomach to face him again after that breakdown session that I had with him at the backseat of the car. One might think it's impossible to avoid a person whom you lived with but it wasn't that hard. I stayed in my room most of the time, like I usually do. In communal places, we just pretended that the other one does not exist. He also never bothered to ask me about that incident which I really appreciate.

Manong Ben seemed to be mum about this too, although he never really understood what was happening after he saw me getting in the car with swollen eyes, he might have just thought that Keith and I got into a fight again. But I'm glad that he hadn't told my mom about it, or else she will not let me go until I tell her what's wrong with me.

I never checked the social media for any whereabouts of the school. I received a lot of voice messages from Sabrina Reese informing me that the social media went wild for all those accusations that Rachel and I threw at each other. And that how her image got totally destroyed by the revelations that I presented. I remembered all these past years where I have taken those silent Christmas breaks for granted, I guess you'll never know what you have unless it's gone.

Dad was still busy. His work was still based at home, but this time I tried to help. Sorting out pieces of evidence chronologically, running errands for the employees, practicing being a good intern in the future. It helped me to get distracted from my thoughts, the impact of my actions, the blur of my mind. It was exactly the distraction that I needed for this holiday.

"Honey, tell your father that his guests have arrived." Sambit ng aking ina, abala siya sa pag-aasikaso ng buong bahay kasama ng mga kasambahay para sa bisperas ng pasko. She decided to throw a large party for dad's associates and other family friends. "And bring this to them, please." Inabot niya sa akin ang tray ng mga kape para sa mga trabahante ng aking ama.

I struggled to balance the cups without spilling coffee on the tray. How the hell do waitresses balance these things? And now, I need to open the door. Pagewang-gewang kong inabot ang doorknob at aktong matatapon na sana ang mga laman ng cup ay sinalo ito ni Keith. What a knight and shining armor...

He was fully dressed in his sharp suit with his hair immaculately slicked back. Ayos na ayos para sa selebrasyon. Ngumiti siya sa akin na nakalabas ang mga ngipin. Porcelain. Porcelain white teeth. I remembered seeing such porcelain teeth elsewhere.

"Oh, there they are! Bilisan niyo at baka lumamig ang kape." Sambit ng isang associate lawyer sa amin pag kapasok pa lang ng opisina. Napa angat ng tingin ang aking ama sa akin. At lahat ng aking iniisip ay biglang nawala. There's something I need to tell him, what was it again?

"Nandiyan na daw po yung mga bisita." Inagaw ng lalaki sa aking tabi ang mga salitang nasa dulo ng aking dila. Tinapunan ko siya ng masamang tingin at napakibit balikat lamang siya sa akin.

"Sige, susunod ako." My dad continued whatever it is that he was reading.

The house was filled with people, all jolly and wrapped in the spirit of Christmas. They all brought gifts to each other and shared genuine laughter. The house looks so warm.

Nikolai ran up to me, tugging my skirt to call my attention.

"Ate, can I open my gifts? Mommy says I can't," Nikolai spoke. His globe eyes are now furious and impatient, it's not hard to guess that we both take after our father's traits.