Kabanata 7 - The Whore, The Devil, and The Bullshit

Kabanata 7

The Whore, The Devil, and The Bullshit

That dreaded talk with my father not only fuels my anger towards the world but also gave me a sense of focus. It woke me up from a trance and made me realize that I have been distracted for so long. Since the storm happened, my life has never been the same. Things were slipping out of my control, even my very own actions and decisions were affected. And I knew just who to blame.

The very reason was staring right back at me amidst the bustling of the students on the crowded area of the activity fair with eyes. My friend, who had just proven her loyalty to me by providing shelter when I wasn't an acceptable looking daughter for my parents, convinced me to watch the end of the fair concert by a popular indie band called A-OK.

Her eyes have a distinctive spark on it as she enthusiastically discussed it with me during our lunch break and it got to my attention. Her fondness towards the group means more than just a fan to an idol.

"That's Calvin on the bass, ain't he cute?" She half-yelled directly at my ear so I could hear her. The speakers blast melodies from the drum then the guitar and finally a voice. Surprised that they were a bit decent of a band, I nodded my head. My eyes still fixed to a certain problem of my life. He also nodded his head, probably mistaken my gesture that was supposed to be for Sabrina Reese. Stupid. I diverted my gaze to the stage.

Ignoring him these past few days wasn't all that easy, especially when you require the same transport to and fro together. Most of the time silence and indifference were enough to suffice the avoidance, however, it sometimes doesn't. The other day, I got into a heated argument with the guy about whether or not we should get a take-out snack from a local fast food chain. The debate escalated into a full-blown fight as we raised our voices inside the car. Childish, I know, but what am I supposed to do? That guy's face demands to be punched. Whatever dark humor he subtly kept away from me, it was showing on his face. An inside joke that only he knows.

Lingid din sa kanyang alaman ay nakikita ko siyang pumapasok sa loob ng study ng aking ama, kunwari nag dadala ng kape para sa lahat ng employees ni Dad. Napag-alaman niya siguro mula sa aking ina na abala si Dad sa kliyente niya, halos hindi na ito lumalabas ng opisina, at tanging mga associate lawyers nalang ang nagsipuntahan sa bahay para magtrabaho. Dad tends to bring his work home if he knows that a case is fastidious and time-consuming. Stacks of files and papers scattered all around the room, and you can always rely on good old Keith to be the center of the spotlight in such matters as this one. Kala mo ay may naitutulong talaga siya. What does he know about the law, asides from breaking it? Masyadong pa-bida.

"You have to meet him." Sabrina Reese exclaimed, noting how she hopped merrily on the way to the backstage to meet the band. There were a lot of girls in there too. I saw Rachel and the sorority gang weld up to the vocalist, some girls were giggling in front of the other members but the bassist, Calvin if I can recall it properly, spotted us the moment we entered the scene.

"Sabree!" Calvin called, crossing the sea full of giggling girls to reach his fair lady. How quaint. The cynical part of me sarcastically pondered, but my reasonable self-advised to leave the prejudice out of the room.

"Hi!" Sabrina Reese waved her hand frantically at the bassist. "Calvin, this is my best friend, Gaby. Gaby, this is my childhood friend, the elusive Calvin."

"Grabe ka naman, I'm not elusive." Napakamot ito ng batok tapos inabot ang aking kamay. "Anyways, nice to meet you, Gaby."

"Oo kaya, matagal na kitang kino-contact. Bakit di mo sinasagot tawag ko?" Angal nito sa binata.