Chapter 3.

Jacob called Kaylee the next morning. She was laying in her bed, reading over the pamphlets that the doctor had given her and her mother, when her mom knocked on the door. "Kaylee, sweetie, there's a boy on the phone for you." She handed the phone over. Kaylee assumed that it was Embry, but she was surprised when she didn't recognize his voice.

"Hello?" She asked, putting the phone in between her ear and shoulder, continuing to flip through the pamphlets.

"Kaylee?" She felt her heart begin to race, and her cheeks grew warm. "Kaylee, this is Jacob. How are you feeling?" His deep voice sounded so concerned, and a stupid grin spread across Kaylee's face.

"Hey Jacob! I'm doing fine. Don't worry about me." She assured him. She didn't want to have to tell him about her illness quite yet. She didn't want to scare him off, because she really liked spending time with him.

"Are you sure? You were so sick." He sounded sad.

"Oh, I'm fine. Seriously, don't worry so much." Kaylee tried to make her voice sound light and cheerful.

"Okay .. Did you have any plans for today?" He asked, and she felt herself blush again. She had planned on going to the hospital and looking around the cancer center again, since she felt like she was going to be spending most of her time there anyway, she wanted to be comfortable in there.

"No, nothing. I was just going to sit around the house." She grimaced as she said it. She thought she sounded like such a loser.

"Well, Emily was wondering if you wanted to come over to her house today. The gang and I were going to go over there for dinner, but she said she wanted to spend some time with you and get to know you." Kaylee couldn't help the smile that spread over her face.

"Sure, that sounds great. When am I supposed to go over there?" She sighed internally, she needed to get gas for her car soon. She debated on walking; it couldn't be that far.

"I was hoping that I could actually come and get you now. I was going to go over to see Sam, and the other guys should all be there." He sounded so hopeful.

"Yeah, that sounds great! I just need to get dressed and I'll be ready to go." The two hung up and Kaylee jumped up, searching her closet for a cute outfit. She decided on a pair of skinny jeans and a plain blue shirt. She quickly brushed her long hair quickly and threw it up in a sloppy bun. She went downstairs to tell her mom where she was going, but she was on the phone again.

"Momma, I'm going to my friend's house." She told her quietly, not wanting to interrupt her phone call. She held up her hand to make Kaylee stop, and she sat down at the table beside her. "What's going on?"

She held the phone out to her daughter. "It's your dad. He wants to talk to you." She cringed. She must have told dad about her being sick. Her mom and dad got divorced when she was seven, and it really hurt him when she moved in with hrt mom and decided to stay with her. For a few years, they split the holidays up so her dad wouldn't feel left out, but she eventually got tired of that. Her dad was never really home anyway,because he was the owner at a construction company. She would sit by the Christmas tree, watching movies, and her dad would be at the table doing paperwork.

"Hey dad. How's everything going?" Kaylee asked, glancing out the window to make sure she didn't see the familiar Rabbit parked in the driveway.

"Baby girl. I can't believe this is happening." He completely ignored her question. She could hear the sadness in his voice.

"I'll be fine, dad. I start my treatments this Monday, and then I'll have radiation three days a week. I'm not scared." Lies. That was such a lie. She was terrified. She heard her dad sniffle, and her heart ached a little to think about him sitting there crying over her.