Chapter 9.

Getting up the next morning and going to work was not as hard as Kaylee thought it would be. She thought that she would feel miserable, but she felt fine. She rolled herself out of bed, put her khaki pants and polo shirt on, and put her hair in a ponytail. It wasn't raining outside today, but she still put on a light gray jacket.

The parking lot to the store was surprisingly empty. Kaylee pulled into a parking spot and took a deep breath. Hopefully it stayed slow today. Her manager was very happy to see her, and she gave her a hug when she walked in the doors.

"I'm so glad you could come in today. We can work around your doctor's appointments if you still want to work, but I'll make sure that the shifts aren't too long. I don't want you to feel pressured. If you start to feel sick or tired, let me know. I've missed you." Her manager said all this very quickly. She was a very busy woman.

Kaylee counted out a cash register and put it in the drawer. She made sure that the plastic and paper bags were fully stocked and ready to go. She flicked the light on that was above her register that alerted the customers that her lane was now open.

She had a few elderly customers come through not too long after she got there, but none of them really had too many items. "Your hair is very beautiful." A short woman with gray hair complimented Kaylee. "Mine used to be the exact same color. I miss it so." She sighed. Kaylee thanked her and put the bags of groceries in her buggy, and she left with a smile.

"Well, hello." A male voice said. He looked like he was about seventeen years old. His skin was a natural tan and his short hair was black, like most Quilettes. He had green eyes and dark eyelashes. "I haven't seen you here very often, did you just start working here?" He leaned his arm against the counter and looked into Kaylee's wide eyes. He had a few dark freckles across his nose.

"Well, no. I've been working here for a while now, but I had to take a little time off." He only had a few items, so she began scanning them and placing them in bags.

"My name is Cody. You're .. Kaylee." He said, squinting at her nametag. She thought that maybe he stole a quick glance at her breasts while he was staring. "Kaylee, do you want to go out with me sometime?"

"Cody, you seem very sweet, but I have a boyfriend." She told him, finishing with his groceries. His eyes glanced up at the screen to see his total, and he quickly handed her a fifty dollar bill.

"Hang out with me for a night and you won't even remember that you have a boyfriend." He suggested, winking at her.

"Excuse me, I don't think that she wants to forget her boyfriend." A familiar voice said, and Kaylee winced. He sounded so angry.

"And who are you?" Cody said, turning around and facing Jacob. But, poor Cody was about a good foot shorter than Jacob, and he backed up a step.

"I'm her boyfriend." He gestured to Kaylee. She nodded quickly, smiling at the love of her life. Her imprint. Cody took another step back and reached over and picked up his groceries. Kaylee handed him his change and he ran out of the store quickly.

"Hi Jacob." She said, smiling cutely at him. He reached over and put his hand on her cheek.

"Good morning, beautiful." His husky voice never failed to make hrt body grow warm. "Are you feeling okay?" She shrugged.

"I've only been here for around an hour. It hasn't been too bad." Jacob scowled in the direction that Cody had ran in.

"Has he bothered you before?" She shook her head. She didn't tell him that she used to get hit on all the time before she met him. It would drive him mad.