Chapter 17.

Ashley Clarke sat beside Kaylee in her English class. She was a very small girl with long blonde hair that went to her butt. She wore cute little black framed glasses, and she was smart as hell. "Mornin!" She chirped as Kaylee sat down next to her, and she couldn't help but smile in return.

"Mornin' Ash." Kaylee said, pulling her books out of her bag. Ashley was the only friend that Kaylee had made since she started college, but she was honestly so great that she felt as if she didn't really need to make any more friends.

"I was wondering if you wanted to stay with me tonight?" She grinned, and Kaylee nodded eagerly.

"That sounds great! I actually have a bonfire to go to around five, if you wanted to go with me. You could meet Jacob and all of his friends." Kaylee suggested.

"Do they all look as good as him?" Ashley asked, wiggling her eyebrows at Kaylee, who just laughed in return. Kaylee had a few framed photos of Jacob and herself in her bedroom that Ashley had noticed one evening when she came over, and she thought he was just a hunk.

"They all look pretty damn good." She fist pumped at that answer, making Kaylee laugh even harder. Ashley could always make Kaylee laugh until her stomach muscles would hurt.

"Of course, I'll go to the bonfire with you!" The rest of the day seemed to drag by, but it was because the two friends were so excited to spend the evening together for the bonfire.

Kaylee's classes ended earlier than Ashley's because she was going full time while Kaylee was going part time, so she went home to pack her things. Her mom was obviously at work since that's where she spends all of her time, so Kaylee left her a note and hung it on the refrigerator, knowing that she would see it later tonight. She also decided to send her a text message, just so her mom wouldn't worry.

Ash's classes didn't end until two, so Kaylee had about an hour left to kill. She couldn't call Jacob, because he was still at school. After a moment of contemplation, she decided to drive to Emily's, considering that she didn't live very far away from Ashley.

Kaylee opened the door to Emily's house and walked into the kitchen, smiling at the beautifully scarred woman. "Hi Kaylee, sweetie!" She exclaimed, hugging the younger girl.

"Hey Em. You already cooking for tonight?" Kaylee asked, gesturing towards all the pans and containers sitting around the kitchen. Emily rolled her eyes and nodded. "Of course." But Kaylee knew better than to believe her annoyed act, because Emily loved cooking for her boys.

"Let me help you." Kaylee suggested, and she smiled at her. "Do you know how to make deviled eggs?" She asked, and Kaylee nodded, grabbing the eggs out of the fridge. She put a pot of water on the stove to boil, and Emily sat down at the table.

"I invited someone to come with me tonight, I hope that's no problem.." Kaylee said hesitantly. She wasn't sure about their policy with newbies. She was only allowed to come because of Embry and Jacob.

"That's fine, who is it?" Emily asked.

"Her name is Ashley Clarke. She sits beside me in English. She's the only real friend I've made since I started college." Emily's smile softened.

"They won't say anything to you. I promise, she can come whenever she wants." Kaylee was hoping that everyone would like her okay. Being the new person around a large group of people was terrifying, but she thought that Ashley could handle it. After hanging out at Emily's for close to an hour, she hugged her friend and left, leaving to go pick up Ashley.

She was waiting for Kaylee anxiously on the porch. "Thank gosh you're finally here!" She exclaimed, jumping up off the steps. "I need your help!"

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Kaylee asked, placing her hands on her shoulders to keep her from jumping around her in circles.