Chapter 19.

Kaylee had planned on staying with Ashley that night, but she felt weird, so she decided to go home. She woke up that night around one, her stomach churning. Kaylee ran to the bathroom, hand over her mouth, and emptied the contents of her stomach into the toilet bowl. A sheen of sweat covered her forehead as she continued to hurl. She just couldn't stop. The more she thought about it, maybe she forced herself to eat too much.

She sat in the bathroom floor for what felt like hours, and when her mom woke her up the next morning, she was laying down on the floor. "Kaylee, how long have you been laying here?" She gasped, leaning down to put her hand on her daughter's forehead.

"All night." Kaylee groaned, sitting up slowly. Her stomach began to hurt again, and she leaned over the toilet, dry heaving.

"You have to go to the doctor." Her mom told Kaylee, helping her up off the ground. Her legs wobbled, and her head spun.

"Can you call Jacob?" Kaylee asked, her voice raspy and throat sore. She called his house quickly, but he didn't answer. Billy answered, and she told him what was going on, and he promised to pass the message on to Jacob.

"Let's go sweetheart." She said, helping Kaylee to the car. She took her to the emergency room, and they admitted her to the hospital. Carlisle Cullen was her doctor, and he came rushing into the room when he realized who his patient was.

"Kaylee, how are you doing? What's been going on?" He asked, his beautiful voice chiming.

"I went to the bonfire last night, and I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up. I haven't been able to stop." Kaylee said, gagging once more. Carlisle passed her a pan that she began to dry heave into. He placed his cold hand on her head, pushing back her hair. Kaylee sighed, leaning her head into his head. The coolness of his skin made her feel better almost instantly.

"You might have eaten something bad, or maybe you just picked something up somewhere. Have you gotten ahold of Jacob?" He asked, and Kaylee shook her head. She wished that Jacob was here. "We're going to keep you for the night, you are dangerously dehydrated. We need to get some fluids in you." Kaylee nodded, leaning back against the pillow.

Her mom looked pale leaning against the wall. She worried so much about everything, and now she has to worry about Kaylee being in the hospital. Another very expensive bill for her to pay.

"Mom, you don't have to sit here all day. I know you have to work, I'll be fine." She looked torn.

"Do you need me to go home and get you anything?" She asked, but Kaylee shook her head. She would change into a hospital gown and the little yellow socks, and then she would probably just lay in the bed and sleep all day.

"I'll be fine. You go on ahead, you don't want to be late. I love you." She looked upset, but Kaylee knew that she needed to work. They were managing to keep all of the bills paid, but they never had any money left over. They needed this.

A sweet nurse came into Kaylee's room with the hospital gown and the warm socks, and she helped her get out of the bed and into the bathroom. She changed and did her business, and she was ready to get back in the bed. She was exhausted.

"Okay sweetie, I'm going to put this IV in your arm, and we're going to get you rehydrated. Give me just a few minutes and you can get some rest." She assured Kaylee. Her head was bobbing back and forth as she fell in and out of sleep.

Kaylee felt the prick in her arm when the nurse put the IV in, but Carlisle came back in to distract her. "I called Sam to let him know that you were in here. I assured them that it wasn't anything too serious, we just can't have you getting dehydrated like this." Kaylee nodded at him, trying to take her attention away from the woman by her side.

"Did you hear that Edward and Bella were engaged to be married? I know they are preparing the announcements, so you should be getting one soon." He told Kaylee, and she smiled.

"No, I didn't know that! That's great. I'm glad that they're so happy together." Carlisle gave her a knowing smile.

"That will be you and Jacob soon enough." Kaylee's face burned with a hot blush, and Carlisle laughed his beautiful laugh. "After you graduate from nursing school first, of course." The nurse had finished with the IV and the fluids were beginning to drip down the tubing. "I'm going to let you rest. If you need anything Kaylee, anything at all, you let me know." She nodded, thanking him and letting her head droop to the side.

Kaylee fell asleep almost as soon as Carlisle left the room, but she woke up to multiple sounds all happening at once. She cracked open an eye and saw Paul flicking through the television channels, Embry munching on chips loudly, and Jacob scolding the other two for being loud.

"Hey guys." Kaylee said, her voice quiet from sleeping. Jacob quickly moved over to her and grabbed her hand.

"You're awake!" He kissed her cheek, and she smiled weakly at him. She glanced at the clock on the wall. She had been sleeping for about five hours.

"What have you been doing all day?" Kaylee asked. He looked embarrassed and mad, and Paul rolled his eyes.

"Swann is marrying that blood sucker. Jake got an invitation today in the mail." He said, and Jacob glared at him. Kaylee lifted her head off of the pillow slightly.

"You already got your invitation? Carlisle said they were working on them, I should get mine soon. I'm excited, I love weddings." Jacob scoffed.

"We won't be attending this one." Kaylee raised her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"Why should we be celebrating? She's marrying that leech, he's going change her eventually." Kaylee sighed.

"Jacob, if that's what she wants, then so be it. If she wants to be with him forever, then shouldn't we be happy for her?" Jacob stood up angrily, making the chair he was sitting on topple over.

"No, we shouldn't be happy! He's going turn her into one of them! Why would anyone want that?!" Kaylee crossed her arms.

"I would, if it meant that I would be with you forever." Jacob was shaking now, and Embry and Paul stood up to intervene.

"Man, you need to calm down. You can't be doing this here." Jacob shook his head back and forth roughly.

"Forget this. I'm leaving." He said, pushing past his two friends and walking out the door. Embry and Paul looked shocked, and they both looked at Kaylee for her reaction. She closed her eyes, trying to prevent the tears from leaking out. She was chewing on her bottom lip, keeping it from trembling.

"Go." She told the two boys, waving her hand in the direction of the door. They didn't hesitate, and they ran out of the room and down the hall, searching for their angry friend. Once they were out of the room, Kaylee turned her head over and let the tears fall freely.