Chapter 8.

Those three little words had been bottled up inside of Kaylee for a while now. Jacob was just so supportive and perfect. Then he had trusted her with his most important secret, all while revealing that she was his soulmate. She was his one true love, destined to be together forever.

"You're not scared of me?" He asked, but Kaylee shook her head. He looked up at her through his long black lashes. "I love you too." He told her, his voice shy. Kaylee couldn't fight back the grin that spread across her face.

"I'll never be scared of you." She assured him, kissing all over his face. He looked relieved. "Did you think I would be scared of you?" He nodded. "You're nothing to be scared of. You're like a big stuffed animal." He threw his head back and laughed loudly, but then his face turned serious.

"We are something to be scared of. You saw Emily's face. Sam did that. He didn't mean to, obviously, but he got too mad and she was standing too close." Kaylee's heart ached. Sam loved Emily more than anything, and Kaylee now knew that she was his imprint. 

"It still bothers him. It hurts him every time he sees those scars." Jacob finished. Kaylee sighed, it was so sad. "I'll walk you to the door. You need to go take a warm bath and go to bed. It's been a long day." She slid out of the Rabbit and he ran over to her side and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

It was only around ten o'clock, and her mom still wasn't home from work. The diner wouldn't close until eleven tonight. "Come lay with me? I don't want to be alone." Kaylee pleaded, holding tightly to his arm. He kissed her temple.

"Of course, baby girl." They went upstairs to her bedroom and he laid down on top of the blankets, and Kaylee curled up underneath the quilt that lay on top of the bed. He held her tightly, and he turned on the television.

"I'm so tired of being sick." She said, resting her head on her pillow. Jacob rubbed her head sweetly. "I'm always exhausted, I never want to do anything. I can't eat half of the time because I'll throw it up. I'm so sore. I'm tired of being in the hospital. I've only worked a few times since I've been sick. They're going to fire me. We need the money."

All the stress that had been piling up onto her shoulders was finally beginning to crush her. She broke down and began to cry into her pillow. "Babe, I know you're tired. But this is something that you're going to have to live with right now. This will get easier. The store won't fire you, just go talk to them and see if they'll let you work one day a week. That's better than nothing." He was rubbing her back, letting her get all of her tears out. 

"Mom is stressed too. She doesn't want me to know, but I know that she is. I've heard her on the phone talking about how we don't have enough money to keep everything paid, and she can't work anymore hours than she already is. She works full time already, and now she has this part time job. We can't keep doing this." Her stomach hurt from crying so hard, but it was well overdue. She had been holding in her feelings for too long.

"We can help you. We can find a way to help raise money." Jacob promised her.

"It's not your responsibility. I wish I wasn't sick, I'm causing too many problems." Kaylee felt so guilty. If she wasn't sick, Jacob wouldn't have to go to the hospital almost every day with her, and her mom wouldn't have to work as much as she does.

"It's not your fault honey, you couldn't keep this from happening." The door downstairs opened. Her mom must have gotten off early. She wiped the tears off of her face and walked down the steps, Jacob following close behind.

"Mom, you're off early." Kaylee said, giving her mom a smile.

"We had been really slow for the past few hours, they don't need two waitresses when we're that slow." She said, hanging her apron up on the back of the chair. "Have you been crying? Are you okay?" She wiped off the excess wetness that remained on her daughter's face, and she gave her a watery smile.

"I'm okay mom, I just haven't felt good at all today." Kaylee told her, and she frowned at her. Her eyes flickered up to meet Jacob's.

"Jacob, it's good to see you. How is your dad doing?" Her mom asked, sitting down at the kitchen table. She had a few small containers of leftovers that Kaylee didn't notice before sitting on the table. She normally brought home leftover food. It helps save a little bit of money.

"He's doing great, thanks for asking." Jacob kissed the top of Kaylee's head. "I need to get going, you need to get rest. Eat a little bit if you feel up to it, gotta keep that strength up." Kaylee kissed his lips lightly. He waved goodbye to her mom and left, shutting the door quietly behind him.

"He's such a good guy." Mom said, opening up the leftovers and offering some to Kaylee. She picked up a small bowl that had mashed potatoes in it and grabbed a spoon out of the drawer before sitting down.

"He's the best. I told him that I love him." Mom gasped.

"You're kidding! Did he say it back? Of course he said it back, I see the way that boy looks at you!" She exclaimed, smiling widely. Kaylee felt my cheeks warm up.

"He did say it back. He makes me so happy mom."

"I know he does, and that makes me happy. I don't know what we would do if we didn't have him. I'm so thankful that he goes to the doctor with you so I can work. I feel awful that I don't get to go with you, but it makes me feel better knowing that he is with you."

"I like having him with me. It makes everything easier." Mom closed the empty plastic food boxes and dropped them in the bin that we put the plastic items in to be recycled.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" Mom asked.

"Well, the store called. They wanted to see if I could work tomorrow, it's just a five hour shift. I think I'm going to go in." She saw her mom bite her lip.

"If you don't feel like working, you don't need to go in." Kaylee shook her head.

"I'll be fine momma, I promise." Her mom kissed the top of her head.

"Okay. I'm going to go shower and then go to bed, I have to be at the dollar store by eight in the morning, and then I go in at the diner at five. I get off at eight though, so I can pick up a pizza and we can watch a movie?" She suggested.

"Don't worry about the pizza, I'll find something to cook here. But a movie sounds great. Go get some rest. I love you." Kaylee hugged her mom tightly. She loved her mom so much, she always knew what to say. 

The house phone rang, and Kaylee let it ring for a second before she picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hey Kaylee." Jacob's voice boomed through the speaker.

"Jacob! Is everything okay?"

"Of course everything is okay. I just wanted to call and tell you that I love you. And that we're all here to support you. Just remember that, okay? Night baby."

"Night, Jacob. I love you." She sighed sweetly into the phone. That boy took her breath away.