Chapter 20.

Jacob came back that night. Kaylee could hear the nurses outside the closed door. "Sir, you can't go in there. Visiting hours are over." But Jacob was a stubborn ass, so of course he wasn't going to listen to them.

"Listen, I called Carlisle and talked to him, and he told me that I could come see her." The nurses were hushed, and Kaylee would bet money that they were trying to get ahold of Dr. Carlisle Cullen.

"What seems to be the trouble?" She heard his quiet voice ask, and the nurses explained what was going on.

"Yes, I told Mr. Black here that he could go see Ms. Little after hours. Jacob here is a close friend of mine, and I trust him completely." Kaylee smiled. Carlisle was such a good man. The door opened, and she closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep.

"She needs her rest. Don't stay too late." Carlisle warned Jacob, and she heard him thank the doctor sincerely.

"Baby.. Kaylee.." He said, sitting down in the chair beside the bed. Kaylee rolled over slightly, acting as if she was just now waking up.

"Huh? Jacob, what are you doing here?" Kaylee rubbed her eyes. He reached out and grabbed her hands and held them tightly in his own.

"I wanted to apologize for earlier. I had no right to get mad at you. It's just, Bella- ..
Kaylee cut him off, taking her right hand away from him and holding it up.

"Listen, I know Bella was your first love and she's your best friend. I know you want her to stay human, and I understand why you feel the way you do, but you really shouldn't give a damn. It should not bother you to the point where you have to take it out on me. I want to go to the wedding and support my friend, and I'm probably going to go whether you go with me or not." She told him.

A strange look crossed over his face. "Why does everyone have to remind me that I loved her? I know, I haven't forgotten. And I just don't want her to be a bloodsucker, that's not the life for her." He was getting mad again.

"Her life is really none of your concern! Did you just come here to fight with me? I'm sick and tired as hell, and if you're just going to yell at me, I want you to just leave." He looked pained.

"Of course, I didn't come here to fight with you. I wanted to apologize, but I just can't be okay with what she's doing. I know it's not my problem, but I can't help it." Kaylee scooted over on the bed and patted the space beside her, so he would lay down. He barely fit in the small hospital bed, and he awkwardly positioned himself around Kaylee's small body.

"Jacob, I love you. But you need to stop. I know you're not okay with it, but she's not going to change her mind because you aren't happy with her decisions. She loves Edward, and she wants to be happy with him, forever." Kaylee laid her head down on his chest, grasping the fabric of his black shirt.

He sighed, but she put a finger up to his lips. "Don't fight with me anymore. I don't feel good and I really just want you to love me right now." He nodded and kissed her forehead. He was soothingly smoothing her hair back, and she dozed off as she focused on his heartbeat.

Kaylee woke up to the sound of a nurse's voice a while later, telling Jacob that Dr. Cullen said he needed to go now. "Let me just tell her goodbye first and then I'll go, I promise." His body was putting out so much heat, and she didn't want him to leave the bed.

"Don't go .." She mumbled, but he put his hand on her cheek.

"I have to go, baby girl. I'll be back in the morning to check on you, I promise. And then you'll probably get out of the hospital tomorrow if you're feeling better, and you can stay the night with me." He said, kissing her lips. She nodded sleepily and pouted as he walked out of the room.

The nurse that asked him to leave was waiting on him to go, and she came in to check Kaylee's vitals once he was gone. Her cheeks looked flushed, and Kaylee hid a little smirk. Jacob had strong effects on women, and she loved that he was all hers.

"Everything is looking good right now, but we'll have Dr. Cullen check everything out in the morning and he should let you go home." The sweet nurse said, smiling at her.

"Thank you." Kaylee told her, giving her a little smile back. Even though she had been sleeping while Jacob was there, she was still extremely tired. Once the nurse left the room, she laid her head back down and went to sleep.

Dr. Cullen woke her up the next morning at around eight. "Good morning, Kaylee. How are you feeling today?" He asked, reading over her chart.

"Much better!" And she wasn't lying. She felt a million times better than she did the day before. She had gotten pumped full of fluids, and she slept for probably twelve hours. Her body was refreshed and replenished.

"Well that's wonderful to hear!" He exclaimed. "I'll call Jacob and let him know that he can come get you and take you home. I know he'll be happy." Kaylee nodded and listened to him explain that she needed to make sure that she drank enough fluids and rested for the next few days.

He left to call Jacob, so Kaylee immediately grabbed her clothes, so she could get out of the thin hospital gown. She kept her warm hospital socks on and waited anxiously for Jacob so that she could go to his house and relax. She sent her mom a quick text, knowing that she was busy working or resting.

She jumped up when he walked into the room. "Jacob!" She squealed, hugging him tightly. "We get to go home!" He laughed and hugged her back gently, as if he was worried he would break her. "Let's goooo!" Kaylee said, pulling him in the direction of the door.

The nurse at the counter waved at the pair as they walked by, and she even hugged Dr. Cullen when they stopped to talk to him. Jacob didn't say anything, but she knew that he respected the doctor. The man literally rebroke Jacob's bones in order to put them in the right places.

When they got in the car, she leaned over to kiss Jacob, but he moved back. "No offense, but you smell." She gasped, feeling self-conscious.

"I don't stink!" Kaylee said, smelling herself. She hadn't been in the hospital that long.

"You smell like one of the bloodsuckers." Kaylee furrowed her brows. She didn't think that the Cullens smelt bad, and Carlisle smelt fine a few minutes ago. She guessed that he saw her confused look because he explained. "They smell bad to us, and we smell bad to them. They told me I smell like wet dog." Kaylee laughed loudly.

"A wet dog, that's hilarious!" He scowled playfully at her. "Don't worry babe, I think you smell great. Most of the time." Kaylee said giggling, and he jokingly smacked at her knee. They pulled into Jacob's driveway and she hopped out, so happy to be out of the hospital.

Billy was sitting in the living room with a mustached man. "Hey dad, Charlie." Jacob greeted as they walked in the house. The pair were invested in a football game and drinking a few beers. His dad waved at them and Charlie smiled.

"Charlie, this is Kaylee. Kaylee, this is Charlie. He's Bella's dad." Kaylee smiled at him and shook his hand. They didn't talk long, and they turned their attention back to the game while Jacob took Kaylee to his room.

She curled up into a ball on his bed, smiling up at him. "I love you so much." She told him.

"I love you, too." He said, kissing her and brushing her hair back from her face.

"So, are we going to go to Bella's wedding?" Kaylee asked, bracing herself for his yelling or complaining. He just sighed.

"I guess so." Kaylee squealed and hugged him tightly. She loved weddings so much.

"Great! I'll have to find you something nice to wear." She teased, and he groaned loudly, collapsing onto the bed.

"Maybe I won't go after all." He joked, and she flicked his arm.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed, scowling to herself.

Of course, the flick hurt her more than it hurt Jacob.