Chapter 5.

Jacob had called multiple times over the span of the weekend, but Kaylee worked all weekend. She was trying to get more hours because she knew that her treatments would be expensive. Her mom said that he sounded really distraught when she called, and she was worried.

It was Sunday night, and she had just finished her shift. She clocked out and waved goodbye, walking out to her small car. A tall figure was leaning against her car, and she stopped walking. She couldn't see who it was from this far away. She turned around, ready to sprint back into the store when she heard his voice.

"Kaylee! It's just me!" Kaylee sighed out of relief and frustration. When he came up to her, she smacked him hard in the arm.

"You can't scare me like that! You ass!" He ran his hand through his short black hair and chuckled.

"I'm sorry. I just had to see you." He looked down at her, his eyes sad. He was making her feel bad. She untied the apron that was around her waist and walked over to her car, Jacob following in her footsteps. She threw the apron in the back of the car and got in the driver's seat.

"Do you want to go to my house and I'll talk to you there?" He nodded and got in his Rabbit, which was parked right beside her car. He waited until she had safely pulled out of the parking lot and onto the abandoned road. She drove slowly, thinking about what they would talk about. Would he tell her that he loves Bella? That he loves her?

She pulled into the driveway and got out, waiting on Jacob so they could walk to the door together. Kaylee kicked her shoes off by the inside of the door, Jacob following her lead. She sat down on the couch with him.

"What did you want to talk about?" She asked.

"Kaylee, you need to know that I don't have any feelings for Bella anymore. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have any feelings for me. The hug was .. she was happy that I had finally found you. You are the girl that was hand crafted by God to be the love of my life. I will do anything for you." His words were so sincere and beautiful, and she couldn't keep the tears from welling up in her eyes.

He leaned in and captured her lips in his, and her heart was soaring. This felt like perfection, like they were made for each other. His lips were molded perfectly against hers. Every movement was synchronized. She felt a tear slip out of her eye and Jacob wiped it away quickly, his eyebrows furrowed as he looked at her. 

"Jacob, I have to tell you something. A few weeks back, I went to the doctor. I've had a lot of trouble swallowing, and I needed to get it checked out. They found a tumor, which they biopsied. They called me back to the doctor on Wednesday. The test results had came back, and they said I had esophageal cancer. It's not far along, but I still have to start chemotherapy and radiation. I start chemo in the morning." Kaylee finished, the emotions finally becoming too overwhelming for her to bear. Jacob was shaking hard. So hard that the couch was shaking with him.

"Jacob, calm down. I'll be okay. The doctor said there's a very low chance that I can die from this. I'm just trying to focus on getting better." He wrapped his long arms around her small body and hugged her tightly. "Don't tell anyone else. I'll tell them myself." She told him, making him promise.

"I won't." He looked pained. "Do you want me to go with you in the morning?" He asked, snuggling Kaylee close to his body. She nodded against his chest. Having him there would make her so much more comfortable.

He sat there with her for a long time, just holding her close to his body. Around eleven o'clock that night, her mom opened the door and walked in, wearing a dirty apron around her waist. "Mom? What are you doing?" Kaylee asked. Jacob had dozed off on her shoulder, but her voice snapped him awake.

"Kaylee, why are you still up? We have a busy day tomorrow. Jacob? Why are you here this late?" She gave Kaylee a very stern look, and Jacob stood up quickly.

"We were talking about her appointment tomorrow and I offered to go with her. Then we just started talking and I must have fell asleep. I'm sorry, Ms. Little. I'll go now." He smiled at Kaylee and her mom.

"I'll walk you out. Mom, I'll be right back." She watched the two walk out the door. Kaylee walked with Jacob to his Rabbit. "I have to be at the doctor at eleven. I'm not sure how long it will take." She warned him. She didn't want him to regret going with her. 

"That's fine. I'll be here at about ten." He promised, kissing her lips gently. He pulled away and smiled at Kaylee, and she pulled him back down to kiss him again. Her arms wrapped around his neck, and he pulled her body flush against his.

Kaylee had to pull back first to catch her breath, and Jacob was looking down at her with dark, lusty eyes. "I need to uhh .. go back inside .." Kaylee said, her face getting hot. He chuckled lowly and kissed her lightly one last time.

"I'll see you in the morning." He said, getting in the driver's seat of the Rabbit. He waited until she made it back into the house before he pulled out of the driveway. Her heart was racing in her chest, and her lips were tingling.

Her mom was sitting at the table, the dirty apron sitting on her lap. "Mom, why do you have that apron?" Kaylee asked, sitting down beside her.

"I got another job as a waitress down at the diner. We need the money." She sighed. Her mom already worked forty hours a week down at the local dollar store as an assistant manager. It wasn't a great amount of money, but it had always been enough for them to survive. 

"I'm going to help out as much as I can. I promise, mom. We can get through this." Kaylee told her, and she shook her head, making the loose hairs from her ponytail whip around.

"I don't want to have to use any of your money. That's your money for school."

"Mom, I have plenty of money for school. I got all of the scholarships that I applied for, plus a good bit of financial aid. I have all the money in my savings account, too. I can help pay a few bills around the house." She looked close to tears.

"You already have so much to worry about, I don't want you to have to worry about us not being able to afford anything."

"I'm not going to worry because I know that we can handle this." Kaylee assured her. She smiled at her before giving her a glare.

"Why was Jacob here so late?" She sighed, because she knew that it was unavoidable. 

"He was waiting on me when I got off of work at nine thirty, and I wanted to come home, so I invited him to come here so we could talk. He told me that he doesn't care about Bella, that I'm the only girl for him. And then I told him about me being sick. So he offered to go with us tomorrow morning, and I really want him to go." Kaylee gave her mom a pleading look, knowing that she would give in. She finally agreed that he could come.

"I think that Jacob will be good for you. He really seems to care." Kaylee smiled at her, nodding her head.

"He really makes me happy. He kissed me today, and it was ... it was wonderful." She told her, and her mom clapped her hands together.

"Sweetie, I'm so happy for you!" She exclaimed. "Honey, you need to get ready for bed, it's getting close to midnight." She said, standing up. Kaylee didn't want to go to bed because she didn't want to have to get up and go to the doctor. 

She showered slowly, enjoying the feel of the water running over her body. Once she finished, she got in her pajamas and laid in bed, the thought of Jacob's lips pressed against hers and his body against her running through her mind. She didn't want to go to the doctor, but she couldn't wait to see Jacob first thing in the morning.

Her Guardian AngelOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara