Chapter 22.

To say that Kaylee was pissed at Jacob was an understatement. He never came back to the wedding, and when she went outside later that evening, his car was gone. Seth and his mother drove her home that night.

Kaylee climbed up the stairs at her house, feeling worn out and just sore. She laid down on the bed and curled into a ball, feeling so exhausted that she could barely keep her eyes open. She had been feeling tired like this for a while now, but it was getting worse.

"Hey Kay, how was the wedding?" Her mom asked, sitting down on the bed beside Kaylee.

"It was nice, everything was super pretty." Kaylee mumbled, burying her face down into her pillow.

"Are you feeling okay?" Her mom placed her hand on her daughter's forehead, checking for any noticeable change in temperature. "You look awfully pale." Kaylee shrugged.

"I'm okay. Just really tired." Mom made a little humming sound.

"Are you hungry? Did you eat at the wedding?" Kaylee shook her head. "Wasn't hungry."

Her mom stood up and placed her hands on her hips. "I'm going to go heat up some chicken noodle soup for you. You need to eat and keep your strength up. You have chemo in the morning." She reminded her, and Kaylee groaned in response. "Is Jake going with you?"

Kaylee honestly didn't know if Jacob would want to go with her tomorrow or not. She really didn't want to go alone, but she didn't want to suck up her pride and ask him. She internally decided that she would wait and see if he could get over his anger and apologize to her first. "I'm not sure mom, he might be busy. He might have to work."

He had successfully finished his junior year of high school, and since it was finally over, he picked up a few extra hours at the automobile garage. She nodded in understanding. "Okay baby, I'm going to go heat up your soup. Get some rest." She kissed Kaylee's forehead and pulled the quilt over her body.

The house phone rang a few times until her mother answered it, and Kaylee pulled the blankets farther up over her head. She was just so damn exhausted. Her mom let her sleep for about an hour and then she brought up a bowl of soup.

"Eat as much as you can, baby girl. We need to have them test your blood in the morning and see if they can tell us what's going on." Kaylee nodded, sitting up and picking up a hot spoonful of soup. She blew on it carefully before eating it.

"Who was on the phone?" Kaylee asked, enjoying the feel of the hot soup sliding down her throat.

"Billy. He was asking if you got home okay. Did you not ride with Jacob?" Kaylee scoffed, swirling the spoon around in the steaming soup.

"We got into a fight over Bella. He worries too much about her, and he should mind his own business." Mom gave her an understanding look and she laid down beside her on the bed.

"Baby, don't hold it against him. I know it bothers you that he used to love Bella, but there's always going to be a part of him that is attached to her. I still have feelings for your father, but I don't love him anymore. Not like I used to. Things have changed, but I still worry about him. He loves you, and only you." She assured Kaylee, and she continued to slurp up the warm soup.

"That makes sense." Kaylee muttered, and her mom smiled widely at her.

"I know it makes sense, and it's because it's the truth. I wouldn't lie to you baby girl." She said, gently patting down her mussed hair. She took Kaylee's empty bowl when she finished and covered her back up. "Call him. I know you think it'll hurt your pride, but it's hurting you more by being away from him."

She laid in bed motionless for a few minutes before sighing and picking up the phone on her nightstand. She dialed the number for Jacob's house first, but Billy answered and told her that Jacob wasn't there. The second person that she called was Emily, and she told her that Jacob was sitting in her kitchen. She handed him the phone. "Hello?" He asked, his voice low.

"Hi baby." Kaylee said quietly, but she knew that he wouldn't have any trouble hearing her.

"Kaylee! I was going to call you, but your mom told my dad you were in bed and I didn't want to bother you. I'm so sorry." He apologized profusely, but she cut him off.

"Jacob, it's okay. I know you have her best interest at heart. I'm not mad anymore." She promised him, and she heard him sigh with relief.

"Can I come see you? I need to see you." He begged, and of course Kaylee agreed. The pair hung up the phone and Kaylee flipped the television on, settling down to watch Grey's Anatomy. "Kay?" Jacob's quiet voice said next to her ear.

"I must have fell asleep." Kaylee said, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. He sat down beside her on the bed, looking at her with his big brown eyes. Jacob laughed when he saw the television. "Is this the only thing you watch? You've seen every episode twice." He wrapped his arm around her small shoulder.

"It's my favorite show!" Kaylee exclaimed, curling into his side and beginning the next episode. "I wish I could do that." Kaylee sighed, watching Meredith cut into someone's abdomen.

"You could do that if you wanted to. You're so smart." Jacob cooed, kissing her cheek.

"I think I would end up passing out if I had to take someone's organs out. I'll stick to being a nurse. The semester is almost over, so I'll be done with English. I'll have to take the second part of Anatomy next semester." Kaylee told him, but he didn't respond. "Jacob?"

"Are you really not mad at me?" He asked, looking into her eyes.

"I'm not ecstatic about what happened today, but life is too short to stay mad." She told him, shrugging her shoulders. He smiled a huge smiling, showing off all of his beautiful white teeth. He hugged Kaylee tightly and peppered kisses all over her face.

"Are you okay?" He asked, brushing a loose piece of hair out of her face. "You look pale." She shook her head.

"I feel fine. I'm just tired. Mom said that she was going to get the doctor to check my blood in the morning to see why I'm so tired." Jacob laid his head on top of hers.

"That's good. I've noticed that you've been really sluggish lately, it has me worried." Kaylee nuzzled up against him, closing her eyes. His skin smelt so good. It smelled like the woods, his soap, and just his natural smell.

The next morning came early, and Kaylee had to drag herself out of bed. Jacob was waiting on her downstairs with her mom, and they were sitting at the table talking quietly to each other. She didn't ask any questions, she just walked over and hugged Jacob's neck lightly. Mom drove the pair to the hospital, and Kaylee kept dozing off in the car.

"Baby, wake up. We're at the hospital." Jacob said, shaking her shoulder lightly. She slowly walked into the hospital and to her appointment, where the doctor drew her blood and sent it off and then gave her a dose of chemo.

The results came back about two hours later, and Kaylee was lying back on the bed with a heated blanket thrown over her shivering body. She was dreary and slightly nauseous.

"Good morning, Kaylee. I have your test results. You are anemic, which explains why you're so weak and lethargic. It's a problem that a lot of cancer patients have. Your bone marrow can not make enough red blood cells. We're going to start you off with a simple solution, you will just need to take iron tablets once a day. And you already have a nutritionist, so they can help you start an iron-rich diet. Don't fret over this too much Kaylee. It's just a little bump in the road."

Kaylee sighed and laid her head back against the pillow. Could nothing in her life be easy?