Someone's Someone - Chapter Two

Henna....

"Shit, hun...you really have been in the wars, haven't you?" As soon as I open my front door, Fi is rushing towards me with outstretched arms and a bottle of wine being held firmly in one of her hands. "Do you need me to take you to hospital? Maybe you should get yourself checked out?" Her face is screwed up tight with a true friend concern, as she takes a really good look at the bruised cut on my chin.

Smiling away her concerns, my tired reply is. "I'm fine. I've had a bath and cleaned up my cut, I don't need to go to hospital...I'm just glad of your company."

Fi relaxes a little, strolling into my flat with a satisfied stare in my direction. "I'm staying over. Shock can do crazy things to a girl."

A thankful smile soon erupts across my face. "Thank yoooooou! You're fabulous, you know that?"

Fi's auburn brows lift as her lips playfully pout. "I know." Then she walks into my kitchenette, places the bottle of plonk that's in her hand down onto the worktop before opening a cupboard where she knows my wine glasses are kept. With a small smirk, she then gently clinks two glasses together. "A medicinal Merlot?"

Nodding and feeling better already for Fi being here with me, I answer her with a warm smile. "Only a small one, I have work in the morning."

She nods as well. "Me too. I have a planned induction tomorrow, so can't get messy tonight...or lord knows where the pessary might end up!" I do love Fi and her midwife humour. In fact, I love her. We have been friends for over eight years and she is the best friend a girl could ever have. After pouring out our wines, Fi hands me mine. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Curling my fingers tightly around my glass, I hold it against my now really aching chest. "I'm hurting all over, but I'm fine." As I bring the Merlot to my lips, I notice Fi watching me carefully. So after swallowing my wine, I chuck her a friendly smile. "I really am okay. I bet you're gutted that we had to miss that horror we were going to watch?" I'm using humour to appease my sweet friend.

Fi sarcastically rolls her eyes, smirking as she does. "Oh yeah! As you can see, this is the face of someone truly devastated to miss being scared shitless on a dark and stormy night."

Chuckling, I take another sip of the merlot before deciding to go and snuggle up on my comfy cuddler sofa. My rented flat is tiny, so I couldn't even fit in a standard two seater in my living area, but my velvet cuddler fits perfectly in what little space I do have. "I could always put on The Exorcism of Emily Rose...you might even make it through a third of the film this time?" Again, I'm chuckling.

Sitting herself down closely beside me, Fi is scowling now. "Do you want me to stay or not?" She's grinning, getting herself all comfortable before having a quick sip of her wine. "So, fancy a homeless guy coming to your rescue, then?"

Thoughtfully, I lean against the rolled arm of my sofa, thinking about the man who came to my rescue when I needed it. "Things could have been much worse if he hadn't helped me. Those muggers were only young, Fi, but they were so aggressive."

Fi now wears a sympathetic smile. "I'm just glad that homeless fella was there to help you."

"Me too." I say, thinking back to the moment that he punched the first lad and then warningly shoved the other one. Those lads could have had a knife, a gun, anything that could have been used against him, yet without hesitation, the homeless guy still came to help me. "I didn't even thank him, Fi." Thinking back, I now remember that I didn't. I was so stunned and afraid, I forgot to thank the one person who actually saved me. Guilt suddenly starts swimming through my veins. "How awful is that?" I ask, my eyes widening with the guilt now obviously swimming in them as well.