Someone's Someone - Chapter Twenty Two

Danny....

Henna Nolan, she's something else, isn't she?

I don't think that woman could possess any fundamental flaws, even if she tried. She is kind, incredibly funny, so caring, unbelievably compassionate and naturally beautiful. There's this genuineness to Henna, that has captivated me from the very start. It's hard to ignore, hard to pull away from. Then there's her smile. Wow, that smile of hers is a beautiful heart-stopper, that's for sure. Henna is the kind of girl who could make you fall in love with her, simply because of that impressive smile of hers. Maybe that's why I choose to stay? I stay to always see that uplifting smile? I certainly don't stay because of her dad. If it were up to Martin Nolan, I know I'd be back in a filthy doorway somewhere, in a blink of an indifferent eye.

I can't say he's ever been directly rude or anything, more so indirectly tolerant of my being around. And I accept it, because I know how very much he loves his daughter. I know how he's only looking out for Henna, and I completely respect that. I completely respect him for doing that. I only wish that one day, he'll be able to remove the disdain from his fatherly eyes, and see me for the man that I know I can be once again. Back in the day, I think I would have been someone that Martin Nolan would be glad for his daughter to be with. I think he would have liked all that I could have offered. But that was back then, and this is now.

Today, I am no one.

Today, I have nothing.

But tomorrow, and all the days to follow, I want to change.

I want my life back.

I want a worthy life.

A life that will return to me my self respect and my independence.

I want to show Henna who I really am, and I want her father to admire who that really is.

At the moment, I know I'm not yet enough. I know that. But I'm determined to try and change that. And as hard as it actually is to accept the help from Henna, I know that I must, if I am to eventually turn my life around. Once my life has been turned around, I will repay all that I owe; emotionally and financially. Because something is happening between me and Henna. Something has definitely been shifting between us. I feel it, and I'm pretty sure that Henna is feeling it too. For me, there is something subtly burning inside of me. Calm and carnal cinders are silently searing away for Henna. Common sense tells me to leave, yet something else entirely is insisting that I stay. So I do stay. Even though Martin wants me gone, I can't go. For his beautiful daughter keeps me right where I am. She keeps me close, and close to her suits me fine. It suits me perfectly fine. Because before his amazing daughter, I wasn't living—I was functioning.

My life was just one long and constant blur of pain and loneliness. Pain and loneliness that was there, because I was stupid. Stupidity had put me on the streets, and it was stubborn pride that kept me on them. My heart had become this hardened muscle that only beat with despair, loneliness and bitter regret. Then Henna came into my miserable existence, and changed everything—changed me.

Now, I'm dipping my toes in a little happiness.

Now, I'm daring to see beyond my homelessness.

Now, I'm infused with determination.

One day, I will be enough for Henna.

One day, I will be enough for Martin.

I am beginning to drown in my wanting of Henna Nolan, and it's only my hesitation to act upon my feelings that are now keeping me afloat.

In her smile, I get lost.

In her eyes, I see a future.

When she really looks at me, I see a reachable paradise. I see a paradise for the two of us. At the moment, I know I have nothing.

I have nothing and I am no one.

But someday, I will have more.

Someday, I will be someone.

Henna's someone.