Someone's Someone - Chapter Forty Five

Danny....Twenty Months Later

I have learned that sometimes, you have to experience being at the bottom of life, to fully appreciate being at the top of it.

I have also learned that you can find happiness, in a world that is full of so much unhappiness. It's all about taking chances, seizing opportunities and grabbing luck if it happens to cross your path.

I think we all tend to get so caught up with the negatives and the depressing circumstances that we can often fall right into, we don't notice those chances, those opportunities and the luck that crosses our paths in life. I often think about where I would be now, if I had decided to look the other way when Henna was being mugged. Where would I be now if I had chosen to ignore her attempts to talk to me? At the time, I was so emotionally lost, I honestly didn't think I would ever be emotionally found again.

I had lost faith in people.

I had lost faith in society.

I had lost faith in myself.

Then Henna fell into my despair, into my homelessness, and restored all of that faith I had so bitterly lost. And she didn't only restore it, she also had me believing in good things happening during really bad times. My homelessness was my really bad times, and Henna was the good happening during all of those bad times.

She made me feel important.

She made me feel like I mattered.

Henna has such a beautiful and giving soul, I was drawn to her from the moment I first looked into those hazel eyes of hers. They say that the eyes are the window to the soul, and Henna's window was one that held a pure and captivating view. In those eyes, there was wholesome openness and innocent compassion. Henna hadn't been tainted by money and possessions, she was defined by genuine feelings and unfeigned experiences.

Before Louisa, my father and my time living on the streets of Bristol, I think I had lived a very shallow and superficial existence. Materialistically, I had everything—the respected job, the gorgeous girlfriend, the designer clothes, the flash car, the swanky family home—but none of it made me happy.

Behind it all, was a grown man who was missing his dead mother and who was missing his living father. I was existing in a world where the beautiful got noticed and the loudest got heard. Then when my life got turned completely on its head, I realised that I no longer fitted that shallow mould. Living in doorways, made me look deeply inside of myself. It made me ask myself questions that I never would have asked before. If you're not seen as beautiful and you're not the loudest, that somehow made you less important to a lot of people in this very fickle world.

And I began to believe that I was no longer important.

I was homeless.

I had made huge mistakes.

So I deserved to feel unimportant.

I deserved the depressing hand that life had dealt to me.

I believed in all of that, until Henna.

Until her, I was nothing.

I was a nothing, with nothing, who felt nothing.

Which is why I am here now, with my hands held gently over her eyes, about to repay her for all that she has given to me; for all that she continues to give to me.  "Okay, just a few more steps." I encouragingly tell Henna.

Slowly and carefully, Henna puts one foot in front of the other, giggling as she does. "The ground is a little uneven, Danny...maybe wearing my kitten heels wasn't such a good idea?"