Someone's Someone - Chapter Thirty Two

Henna....

"It's a bit soon, isn't it?" After excitedly filling in Fi over the phone about me and Danny, she's now pouring her scepticism all over it.

"I care about him, Fi. I care about him a lot."

Fi sighs, dubiously sighs. "Oh Hen, I'm really worried about you. You say Danny used to manage one of his father's shipping branches, that his father took it all away from him because they fell out, but as your friend...that really bothers me."

I listen to Fi, and to some extent, I understand. "I know the reason why they fell out, Fi, and I'm okay with it. You have to trust my judgement here. I just want you to be happy for us."

"Does your dad know?"

"Yes."

"And?" Fi quickly asks, her feminine tone much deeper than usual.

I exhale calmly, because dad reacted much the same way as Fi is doing now. "Like you, he has his concerns."

Which only adds fuel to Fi's worried fire. "I'm really trying here, Hen. I really am. But I just think that the man Danny used to be, isn't that man now. I honestly don't think I am comfortable with my friend being with someone who has been living on the streets of Bristol for the past eight months?"

I wish I could tell Fi everything. I wish I could tell her why Danny ended up in doorways in Bristol. But I can't. He told me all of that in confidence. It's important to him that I honour that. Last night, he even said that once he has proved to my father that he's worthy of being with me, that he himself will tell my dad all that happened with Louisa and his father. But for now, we just want to enjoy the thrilling newness of being us. Danny wants to start proving himself as soon as he is fully healed. He wants to put his past and his homelessness fully behind him. We know that our being together will raise eyebrows and heart rates, but we both still want it.

I've never felt this way about a man before.

I've never cared so deeply, so soon.

I've never been more sure about someone.

Just like I made my dad listen and understand, I am determined to get Fi to do the very same.

I need her to listen.

I need her to understand.

"I really care about Danny, Fi. Don't you remember how you felt about Jimmy when you first met him?"

Fi sarcastically laughs. "Yeah I do, actually! I thought he was too full of himself and had a shaved head that made him look like some dodgy hooligan!" Her sarcastic laughter then suddenly comes to a stop. "Wait! Are you trying to tell me that you're in love with Danny, Hen?"

Am I?

Am I Henna Nolan, now in love with Danny Oneal?

My thoughts are full to the membrane brim of him.

I see stars, planets and solar systems when we kiss.

My stomach suffers a wonderful invasion of butterflies whenever I think of him.

When he's not around me, I miss him.

Yes, I do believe that I Henna Nolan, am indeed now in love with Danny Oneal.

We are bound by a new and deeper understanding. Emotionally entangled. Chemically attracted. Hearts and minds as one.

It's sudden and insane.