Someone's Someone - Chapter Sixteen

Henna....

'I'm glad that you're going to fill in your dad about Danny, because I really hope he'll be able to make you see some sense, Henna. But until he does, I'm staying right here." Keith starts removing his jacket and his shoes, glaring at me to dare to even argue with him. "If Danny is staying, so am I." He then takes off his jeans. "You might trust him, but I don't. So, I'm staying."

My shoulders slump low; low with tiredness and low with sheer exasperation. "You can't sleep in my bed, Keith?" Carefully, I slip on my dressing gown, allowing the towel to drop to the floor as it's safely wrapped all around me. I don't want Keith to see any of my freshly showered nakedness beneath it.

"Where do you suggest I sleep, Hen? Your sofa is otherwise engaged with a homeless guy that you hardly even know."

Minutely shaking my head, and roughly pulling back my duvet, I then haul my annoyed self into bed. "Fine! But you keep your hands to yourself, right?"

Looking disgustingly pleased with himself, Keith grins. "Fine." Then he quickly unbuttons his dark blue shirt, before jumping in beside me. Plumping up his pillows, his eyes have softened their hardened stare on me. "I'm not trying to act like some unreasonable Neanderthal here, Henna. You don't know Danny. And I know you're trying to help him, because that's unfortunately the kind of person that you sweetly are...but he really could be anyone."

I listen to Keith. And I get it, I really do.

But how can I explain that I feel nothing but safe with Danny?

How can I explain the inexplicable pull I have to him?

How can I explain the growing protectiveness I have for him?

I can't.

So I won't even try to.

Instead, I appease Keith and all of his grave concerns for me. "I know that you're only looking out for me, and I'm grateful that you are."

Turning on my side, I try to relax with Keith beside me in my bed. Earlier today, I was going to tell him how I didn't think we could ever work being in a proper relationship together. I still do feel that way, but with Danny in the next room, and Keith now being so thoughtful and mindful of me—I just don't know whether this is the right time to tell him now?

Keith is gazing my way, like he's trying to understand what's going on inside of my silly little mind. "Do you know how it felt for me when I found you only wrapped in a towel, with some other bloke in your arms?"

Uncertainty dances across my hazel spheres; uncertain of how to answer and uncertain about speaking freely with Keith. "It must have looked very compromising?" Weakly, I smile back at him.

Pushing back some of my still-damp curls, Keith brings a soft smile to his lips. "You could say that." His fingers venture towards my jawline, stroking lightly and hesitantly. "I just want you to be mine, Hen?"

Pulling slightly away from him, I hate this.

I hate the situation between Keith and I.

I hate knowing that I can't feel for him, what he feels for me.

I hate it all.

I pride myself on being a good person. A good and kind person. I would rather suffer myself, than for someone else I care about to ever suffer. And I do care about Keith. It's just not enough. "About us, Keith." My voice is so utterly riddled with guilt. I'm about to confess all to Keith, every hurtful word of it.

But he stops me. "Ssshhh. You have work in the morning. Just close your eyes and go to sleep." He doesn't want to hear every hurtful word. He doesn't want to listen to the truth. Keith isn't yet ready to face it. "Just go to sleep." With his hands gently stroking my head, his peaceful palms lull me into a relaxed state; lulling me to a place where I don't have to worry about Danny. Somewhere that I don't have to worry about having to tell my dad about Danny, and a somewhere that I don't have to worry about hurting Keith.

I'm going to that place, but know that I have to come back.

And when I do come back, I am going to have to do battle with all that my tiredness is currently trying to shield me from.

I hate battles.

I hate confrontation.

I hate hurt.