Someone's Someone - Chapter Twenty Three

Henna....

After dropping Danny off at the barbers, I'm now at the flat. It feels strange being here, it really does. I've been desperately missing it, yet now I am here, I feel strangely displaced.

Maybe it's because I have realised that my time here is now up?

It's now maybe time to start my life with a blank canvas?

Or maybe, I have simply outgrown this place?

Whatever the reason is for my displacement, I decide to get a lot more of my things today. As much as I do love my cuddler sofa, I think I'm just going to leave it here. I'm sure Keith would be happy for the next tenant to have it, as it's clean, comfy and utterly funky. Keith may not be happy with me, but I'm sure he won't feel the same way about my cute little sofa. I toyed with the idea of going to see him before I packed the rest of my things, but have decided to do it after I have packed them. At least then, if our conversation does go bitterly South, I can just leave. So, I'd better hurry up. Danny is meeting me back here, after buying himself a new shirt for tonight and having his hair and facial scruff trimmed. I really don't want him being around when I'm talking with Keith, it'll only be like a red flag to a bull. So yup, really need to crack on with my packing. In a hurry, I pull out clothes from my wardrobe and from my bedside drawers; into waiting suitcases. Next are my boots and shoes; too many of them, if I'm honest. Then I move onto my toiletries that I had left behind, quickly followed by what little jewellery I have in a sequinned embellished box. As soon as my suitcases are full, I carry them both out to the living room. Wiping my slightly sweaty brow, I take a little breather, deciding what to pack next. CD's, books and ornaments. Is what I promptly tell myself. Picking up one of the empty cardboard boxes, I start putting all of my CD's neatly inside of it. Just as I'm about to start on the books, I am interrupted by a succession of light knocks to my door. With silent dread, I go and open it.

The dread had good and very valid reason, because it's Keith. "Back for more of your stuff I see." His curious eyes flick down at the two bulging suitcases that wait by the door. Then he spots the box that I've just been filling with CD's. "Looks like you're moving out. Are you moving out, Henna?" His tone is mad and accusatory.

Warily allowing him inside, my reply is a little sheepish. "I am, Keith. I was coming to see you after I had finished packing." With slow, cautious movements, I return back to my packing. "I'm staying with dad for now, then I'm going to start looking to buy a place of my own."

"Won the lottery, have you?" Keith snidely asks, his blue eyes so unusually now full of flinty bitterness.

With a handful of books in my hands, I look across to him. "No, dad has given me some money to help me get onto the property ladder. I think he's really keen for me to settle down and stop acting like a teenager." I'm trying to joke with Keith, but he's not in the least bit interested.

"And where does this all leave us, Henna?"

Lifting my chin with a probing gaze in his direction, my brows pull hard together. "It doesn't leave us anywhere, Keith. I never promised you an us. I never promised you my heart." I place the books inside the box, needing to look away from Keith and his maddening stare on me.

Keith angrily steps closer, growing madder and madder with each passing moment. "I thought we were getting somewhere, Hen? I thought you just needed some space, so I've given you that space. I've even let you do your Florence Nightingale thing with Mr Danny Down and Out."

Now, he's just gone and flicked the ON switch to my temper. Standing straight, I look him full on in the eye. "It's Danny Oneal, Keith! Danny is no down and out. He used to manage a shipping company in Hemel Hempstead, remember? And secondly, I'm not being Florence Nightingale, I'm just trying to give someone a chance."

Keith holds onto his angry stance, undeterred by how angry he's made me. "In life or in you, Henna?" Jealousy is wrapped around his six words. A most unbecoming jealousy.

I falter a little, taken aback by what Keith has scathingly just asked. "I don't know what you mean?" I think I do know what he means, but am a little afraid to say it out loud.

Keith crosses his arms, sighing hard with a one-sided sneer. "Don't give me that, Henna! You have a thing for this homeless guy. I think you have this insane fantasy that you and him are going to have this perfect life together."

I can't admit to Keith that he's right. He makes it all sound so silly and disappointingly real now. Minutely shaking my head, defiance is all I can expel from my tightening throat. "Don't be ridiculous, Keith! I'm just helping him. I'm being the only friend that he has." I take in a deep breath, holding in the tears that I know are not too far behind my wilful defiance.

Keith dismisses me, and my defiance. "Yeah right, you keep telling yourself that, Hen. But we both know that I'm right." He then backs away from me, his sneer quickly returning to his mouth. "Well, if no-hopers really are your thing, go right on ahead, Henna Nolan...because, I'm totally done!" Keith finally turns his back on me, muttering under his breath as he leaves. "You both deserve each other!"

As soon as I am alone, the thick emotion rises up my throat and burning tears start obscuring my vision.

I don't even know why I am crying?

I knew this day would one day come, and now it's here, I feel totally unprepared for it. I knew Keith would one day hate me. I can't tell him what he wants to hear. I can't feel for him what he wants me to feel. But what hurts the most, was what he said about Danny. Of all the things he had to throw at me, those are the ones that have well and truly stung. Danny isn't a no-hoper. He isn't.

Just letting my tears fall, I pack through them all.

I just keep on packing, and keep on crying.

Until all the packing is done and all the crying has stopped.