Work

"Just hurry up and take the damn burgers before I eat them." Eve repeated, before shoving them in my hands.

"What's up?" I questioned her, seeing as this is a completely random action from her. She doesn't even eat fast food, she says it makes you fat and disgusting.

At this point, she is currently in my place daintily sitting on an old chair that is in questionable shape, and I am scarfing down the food.

"Since you changed your locks on me, I had to wait forever out front until you got home. But we are celebrating!" She exclaimed.

"Celebrating what?" I inquired, it better not be as stupid as the last time she said those words. We apparently were celebrating her new haircut she loved, which then hated a week later after seeing it on someone else.

A grin broke out on her face, we are talking large ass smile, one of the biggest I've ever seen on her. Instead of saying anything, she shoves a hand in my face, her left one. And on that hand, sat a big ass diamond ring.

"Oh my god, you're pregnant!" I said, before stopping myself. It's the only logical reason she'd get married after knowing the guy for 3 months.

She just burst out laughing, somewhat nervously. Oh my god, she is!

"The fuck girl, I told you to be careful. I should beat you with my shoe right now, but food is helping this situation." I said, trying to wrap my head around it.

"Really! I tell you I'm getting married and you bash me for being pregnant? You are lucky we're besties. F.Y.I. I'm not actually pregnant. I just wanted to see if you'd react the way you did." She told me before laughing harder.

"Are you really getting married or is that just a joke too?" I asked, seriously questioning her sanity right now.

"Nah, I'm not settling that easily. I've convinced Riley to fake an engagement with me, to get my parents off my ass. We basically broke up last week, but it's beneficial for both of us if you get my drift." She said, eyeballing me with disgust as I stuff another large bite into my mouth.

I chewed for a moment, processing the information. The first bit, not the last, no one needs to know that shit.

"Parents are still pressing for that old ass tradition of an arranged marriage to some rich dude you've never met for business reasons?" I questioned before devouring the last bite.

"Good god woman, when was the last time you ate?" She asked, taking a good look at my profile.

"Does coffee count?" I asked dodging the answer.

"Girl, if you just accept the position I'm offering you will get an automatic pay raise. And you won't have to scarf down food, like a raccoon who just found their first meal after days, and don't want others to get it. It's seriously not even a high position in my company. Entry level for you, paid holidays, hell even health insurance. You'll be treated like everyone else." Eve told me, trying to get me to come to the dark side.

Her offer is sounding extremely tempting, I just don't want to be known as the one who got the job because I'm the boss's BFF.

"Look, I know you hate hand outs and retail, just consider it. I hate seeing you like this." She stated, not pressing the subject too much.

"I'll think about it." I replied, seriously debating on it. I know offers aren't landing at me feet no matter how much I try. And not everyone accepts employees with even minor criminal records. Fuck it. Let me throw what little is left of my pride away.

"What position is it?" I asked, not wanting to fully commit.

"Just a minor role, nothing you wouldn't know how to do naturally. So are you saying yes?" She vaguely described it, getting happier at the end.

"What position is it?" I pressed further.

She sighed and looked away. She was definitely downplaying the position.

"Fine, I'm looking for a new shift manager, as I said you already have the skills for it. If you want, I'll make my personal assistant interview you." Eve told me, like my mind wasn't already made up. I'd be a complete idiot to turn this job down right now.

"Okay. When would this position need to be filled?" I asked, basically letting her know I finally agreed.

Her squealing and happy dance in the rickety chair had me slightly worried. Part of me wondered when she'll bust her ass.

"Come by tomorrow, we'll go over everything!" She said, almost deafening me.

Crap. What in the world did I agree to?

"Well, I have to go, I have a new hot date tonight. I think his name was Brian, or was it Benson? See you tomorrow!" She yelled, making her way out of my place.

She is one hurricane of a woman. Ok, I can do this, it's just another retail job. Except its clothes, and I don't even like dressing myself most days.

But management, I can do that, I've done that before shit-for-brains demoted me and put his girlfriend in that position.

I just can't believe how much her business has came in just two years, the first year was a struggle for her. Wanting to prove to her parents that she could, she never gave up.

They saw her business was picking up and backed her financially, until she got ahead and paid them back.

Her parents figured she would crash and burn in half a year, she was in struggle mode but stayed afloat.

Wonder what fresh hell will begin tomorrow. Can't be that bad, right? She'll probably just give me easy shit and say I'm doing a good job.

Here's to hoping that it won't be as miserable the next few days. At least I can say I don't have to attend a funeral, I got out of Sean's, I don't think I would able to handle his parents, knowing what I do. Not like I wanted to go anyway.

I need a long shower, to find an outfit for tomorrow and a lot of sleep. Who knows what bullshit is coming next.