You Again

"So, my parents are still going on about me getting married. They are refusing to accept I'm engaged." Eve bitched to me during dinner.

"But you really aren't engaged. Who do they want you to marry anyway?" I asked.

"Um..." she thought really hard on that question.

"You don't even know do you?" I asked, laughing at her.

"I think it started with an M." She responded honestly. "They have been talking about this since I was little. Quite frankly, I'm extremely over this. I think I'm going to turn lesbian."

"Yeah, we both know that's not going to happen." I said laughing.

"It's been a week, why is your house still half trashed?" Eve asked, looking around my messy apartment, changing the subject.

Why is it still trashed? I haven't felt like cleaning, on top of working, and I prefer sleep more.

"I was slowly cleaning, it will be done soon. I have tomorrow off and planned on fixing everything." I replied, knowing that it won't get done anytime soon.

"Liar." She laughed and I shrugged.

"Don't you have a fuck buddy that needs a warm bed tonight?" I joked.

"As a matter of fact, I do. See ya later, nun." She said gathering her stuff.

After she left, I closely looked at the place, hoping that visually seeing everything would motivate me to clean it up on a Friday night.

Heading toward the coffee maker, I noticed the lack of coffee. If I'm going to put myself through torture cleaning, I may as well go out and get more coffee and maybe some food. Grocery store it is, now where are my keys?

Why is the parking lot full on a Friday night? Shouldn't everyone be out partying or something? Maybe they are just buying booze, it's still early.

I should probably be boozing it up, but still too broke for that.

Entering the store I noticed it was calmer than the parking lot let on. Majority must be in the liquor store next door.

Grabbing a grocery cart I started out in produce, and by produce I mean frozen pizza section. Selecting some frozen foods, I wandered to the coffee aisle, grabbing random things along the way.

As I was rounding the corner of the aisle, a small child looking around the age of 5 ran into my legs crying.

"I." The little girl started stammering, "I can't." She whimpered out with snot dripping out of her nose.

I gently pushed the child back and crouched down to her height and calmly asked her what's wrong.

She wiped her snot on the sleeve of her sweater before look at me.

"I can't find my daddy." She said through sniffles.

"Okay. We'll find him." I said, standing up and glancing around. What the hell am I supposed to do?

"What does he look like?" I asked, hoping to keep her calm as I look around to see any worried looking man.

She went back to crying and never answered, just great. I guess I should just go to the front of the store, the probability of him in front of the aisle is higher.

With the child clinging on my leg I shut my eyes and counted down. She's getting snot on my pants. Damn it.

"Anna!" A loud voice yelled from across the store, effectively getting the crying girls attention.

"Daddy!" She yelled back, still clinging on me. I swear if this one of those set ups where guys use their kids to get women, I'm going to murder them.

"Come on, your name is Anna right?" I asked the girl, who silently nodded.

I pushed the cart with the girl holding my hand toward the booming voice.

Walking up to the broad  back of the screaming male, something started nagging at me about the figure.

"Hey." I said before Anna started tugging away from my hand and stopping me.

"Daddy!" She squealed, letting go of my hand and running toward the tall male, who was in the middle of turning toward us.

"Anna! What did I tell you about going off on your own?" He all but yelled, causing the girl to cry again snot and all.

Holy. Shit.

Logan, of course it had to have been him.

I tried to turn and walk away before he acknowledged my presence. Should have known with looks like that he'd be married with a kid.

"That pretty lady helped me." I heard her mutter out. Damn it kid, you snotted up my pants and now reigning hell down upon me.

"Allison? Out of everyone, of course it had to be her." He said, mumbling the last sentence.

"Nope. Totally not me. Bye." I said quickly trying to scurry away.

"Nuh uh, get back here. What are you doing here?" He asked casually, like it wasn't obvious that we're in the middle of a store near my houses

"Oh you know, spending my Friday nights wandering the grocery store in hopes of finding lost kids to return to their parents. You know, normal people stuff." I replied, sarcastically.

He looked around, glaring at everyone who even dared looked our way.

"Do you live around here? You don't strike me as the broke kind that shops here." I questioned, knowing we are in the bad part of town. By his clothes he certainly has the money to not be in this area.

"It's conveniently located between point A and B for me." He said, like that explained everything.

"Right." I had no clue what to say. "Well, cute kid but I gotta go." I said awkwardly.

"Wait, how are you doing? I mean, I know things are probably weird after what happened. Did you need to talk to someone about it all?" He asked, seeming a bit shy.

"I'm actually fine, things are looking up." I told him confidently. They were, i had no reason to complain about my life after getting this new job.

"Daddy, I want that." Anna said, pointing at something across the aisle.

"Sweetheart, I already picked you up your treat for the week, no more." Logan said sternly to his daughter. It's odd to see him with a kid, especially with the kind of business he is in. I haven't quite confirmed what they do, but I sure as hell have an idea.

"Well, here's my number if you need anything." Logan said as I started to slowly walk away from the pair. Grabbing the black business card I'm sure I'll never use, I tucked it into my purse.

"Ya, I have to get coffee and go clean up a disaster of an apartment." I said before waving goodbye.

How. Fucking. Awkward.

I thought I was done with those people.