Chapter 18

The wise tree. Where they heck could that be? More importantly, what would it look like? How can a tree be wise?

All these questions were running through my mind. And many more.

If I did eventually find the tree, how would I know that the rogues won't try to kill me? Will they actually accept me?

Stop thinking, Lexi! One step at a time.

I began to look for the "wise tree", if there was such a thing. What could determine the tree as "wise"?

Maybe it will be wearing glasses and look like a nerd.... Okay, that's ridiculous. I started to laugh to myself although it just sounded like air escaping from my mouth since I was in my wolf form.

What if the oldest tree was the wisest? It may be a stereotype, but it was the only shot I had. I guess that'll do, then.

Luckily I knew the oldest tree. Surprisingly it wasn't famous. I'm pretty sure it's centuries old. Also, fairly huge and tall.

It was sundown by the time I got to it. I sat down by the tree. I decided to stay in my wolf form in case someone attacked me. It was most likely because these are rogues were talking about. I heard they were very dangerous.

In that case, it makes me very stupid to come here. But on the other hand, I just don't care. I couldn't stand another day in the pack house. Everyone was driving me crazy.

Brad saying he loved me and me thinking I loved him back, but that could just be because we're mates.

Then me thinking I love Conner.... no. I did love Conner. Until he turned into a huge douche. I mean, what the heck happened to him? He was fine one day, then Sara came... She must've told him something. But that something being enough for him to hate me?

I began wishing I had hands at this moment to rub my temples because I was seriously getting a headache.

Suddenly I heard rustling in the bushes. Then came out two wolves growling at me. I stood up and growled back. Were these the rogues?

I heard a branch crack behind me and I realize that I'm surrounded.

You've just made a huge mistake.

...Sara. Why does she choose now to talk?

My moment of confusion gave them an advantage to attack me. They managed to throw a bag over my head and push me down towards the ground.

"Stop fighting and turn back into your human form." It was a female voice. She sounded strong and confident. I've never heard of a pack leader being a female and thought it was impossible. I guess not.

I did stop fighting, but was reluctant to change into my human form. I had no clothes with me. Great, just great.

As if sensing my predicament, she said, "We have a blanket with us. We'll cover you with it."

I guess that's better. I just hope no one pulls it away from me again.

I felt the blank go on top of me and began to shift. Back in human form, I barely noticed how cold it was a wrapped the blanket tighter around me.

I faced the woman who spoke to me. She was a bit taller than me and looked like she was in her early twenties. Her eyes were kind but gave off a stare that said, "If you mess with me, I'll kill you."

"Hello," I said hesitantly.

"Hello," she said slowly. She seemed to be observing me.

After a while, I said, "Are you the leader of the rogue pack?"