Chapter 22

Brad's POV
<future>

Lexi.

She's been the only one in my mind for days. And now as I see her walking towards me, looking as beautiful as ever, gave me a spark of hope.

There were tears in her eyes and I couldn't understand why. She looked down next to her then back at me.

She began saying something, I couldn't hear her. She came closer and I became intoxicated with her smell and dizzy probably because of the smoke I was breathing in.

She said something again yet I still couldn't hear her over the pounding of my own heart. Finally seeing that she was safe gave me so much emotion I couldn't express anything.

She was close enough that she put a hand on my chest. I gently caressed her cheek.

I barely understood what she was doing until she swung back her hand and slapped me.

Lexi's POV
<present>

Finally got the message to Brad. It took a while, including a life. Luckily it wasn't mine. I had some help from Todd and Savannah, and a couple of their friends.

Yes, me, Todd, and Savannah are "friends". Ever since they found out about my plan, they said they were in and were actually plotting against Farbara themselves with help from their old pack.

Everything was happening tonight. But for some reason, I wasn't nervous. I was actually pretty pumped. I was tired of all this BS. And hopefully tonight, it'll all be over.

I began getting me heat under control. The first step was getting used to a guy's smell and not going all crazy. After that, everything else would come naturally.

So of course, that guy was Todd. Believe me, I wasn't anymore comfortable than he was. But I had to practice for tonight when Brad would come.

Obviously I didn't trust myself alone with Todd so Savannah stayed with me. And let me just say, spending a whole hour with Todd in the room was torture. I was freaking shaking the whole time trying to get my senses under control.

I could tell Todd was having a hard time, too. He kept combing his hand through his hair and biting his lip to the point where it bled. I felt bad for putting him through this but hey! He seriously owed me one.

Then Savannah made us hold hands. "I can't," I told her. "I'm still trying to get used to his smell in here!"

"You have to!" she told me. "You have to be ready so when Brad comes, you won't get distracted by him."

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Fine." I looked over at Todd who looked like he was concentrating. "You okay, Todd?"

"Yeah, whatever," he said, his voice strained.

He gently lifted up his hand for me to grab. I gave Savanna the look and took Todd's hand. It made my breath catch and me grit my teeth. I felt his hand on my forearm sending chills to the rest of my body.

Don't give in, I told myself.

I felt him lean in closer and I pushed against his chest for us to keep our distance. But in that one touch, i couldn't handle it and let go of his hand.

"I can't do it," I said to Savanna.

"You're gonna have to try," she said. "Now again."

"Savanna." Todd said with gritted teeth.

She rolled he eyes. "Alright. Let's take a little break. But in ten minutes we're going back to work!"

"In other words," I said, "get out, Todd."