Prologue: Ten Years Earlier

Ten Years Ago

"Penelope!" Her father yelled from the main hall of the mansion.

Penelope, a fourteen year old girl, hurried downstairs. By the tone of her father's voice, she knew he was angry. At the bottom of the grand staircase, her father stood tall, breathing hard and red in the face. She could feel the anger radiating off of him. She only heard him irate between a wall. Never has she seen it with her own eyes.

"What the fuck is this note? Where is your mother?" Mr. Marshall, her father, spat. He turned towards his daughter. Penelope finally saw the note in his hand, presumably from her mother.

Penelope was scared to speak to her father; she was frozen in her spot. She should have run back to her room and locked her door. She should have lied next.

"Mom didn't tell me where she was going," Penelope said quickly.

This wasn't the case.

Mr. Marshall marched over to his daughter and grabbed her natural long red hair.

"You stupid bitch! Just like your mother, too. Probably a whore as well." While speaking, he was dragging her by her hair.

"Dad stop! AHHH! This really hurts," She groaned in pain. It felt like every strand of hair was being ripped out of her scalp. She was trying to catch up to minimize the pain, but her father was too fast.

"Don't scream you bitch!" he said, quietly, but not calmly. He was dragging her to her room and threw her in. By the time she lifts her head up, her father locked the door behind her. She moans and collapses back down. Mr. Marshall yelled again, "You will not leave this room until I let you!"

She couldn't help but let the tears fall down her face. Why did her mother leave? How could Penny just let her leave?

After fifteen minutes, she lifted her body off the floor and dragged it to her bed where she cried more.

This is the first time her father abused her, and it won't be the last.